20.

☄️🗻☄️

All good things come from bad ones. Where one bad ends, there the good starts. It's the same with friendships. People fear to lose the ones dearest to their hearts, to cut the ties that have been holding them from drowning in the sempiternal oceans of loneliness and oblivion. And when the feared situation really comes, they prefer to live in past instead of accepting the future and everything new. The past moves on – they stay, like the ozone scent after a thunderstorm.

Ten watched as a small squirrel with a brownish fur and long fluffy grey tail circled around and jumped past few trees, making tiny trails of her feet while being totally lost in her world of finding nuts. Pity– it was too late. The frost froze all forgotten nuts which weren't grabbed by other squirrels, so the poor animal was left with empty hands. Ten gave her few days, in the better case, before the frost and famine will take her too.

For now, he just searched through the pockets of his thick jacket, trying to find out if there's any nut left. He did this every year, and every year few lucky creatures got to live for a bit longer. He enjoyed looking at nature and the small animals eating the food as if it was their last dinner. It made him happy that he gave them some time and that little love.

He enjoyed the animal company more than human.

Why not? With a little bit of food, he bought any smaller animal, making a strong bond between them afterwards. It worked like that every time because even this cute little squirrel secretly followed his steps leading to the bus stop.

And that's where the bond always ended. The bus stop.

Ten watched his clocks and the road every few minutes, slightly shivering because of the chill breeze and small yet sharp snowflakes falling down like rain. The stop was empty like any other day as it was located at the furthest end of the town he was staying in. It was actually just a village, with country scenery surrounding it, hidden between the mountains and rich snowy forests. He has always stayed there for one week of winter holidays – to relax, to turn off from the real world and mainly to spend some time with his grandparents.

Shortly, his parents were outside of town every winter holidays and didn't trust him enough to leave him alone, or rather didn't trust everybody around him. The past stayed with them as well and they were worried even when Ten went on school trips.

The wind has eventually calmed down, only the sound of distant wildlife accompanying the boy's thoughts. It was seven minutes after when his eyes caught two dim lights getting closer to the bus stop and the snowstorm revealed familiar bus that drives every two hours.

He turned to the little squirrel. "Bye, my dear friend. I hope you won't suffer for long." He heaved a sigh. Of course, if Ten could he would take it with him. However, at the same time, he was aware that it was impossible. The animal's home was there, the woods, not his small and messy room. Besides, it seemed like the squirrel already knew its destiny. Funny enough, everyone did. They just weren't prepared.

The bus arrived and with loud noise braked in front of the boy. The doors opened, revealing few steps and then a tired man sitting behind the wheel. Ten quickly got on and paid for his ticket, his legs leading him to the closest empty seat as he didn't want to go sit at the back. The bus wasn't packed but there were still quite enough of people. He sat down on the old red leather seat and leaned his right shoulder against the window, his backpack laying right next to him.

The carriage creaked and started moving. Ten's eyes flicked at the small animal for the last time and he saw nothing but a snowy road covered with few footsteps belonging to him and the squirrel. The forest in the background was hidden in darkness as it was already getting late.