Chapter 6

Marie's position

                I tried to calm my breathing before I started to walk back into the classroom. I can't deal with Brian anymore. I already had to deal with him being in my class and my co-drum major. I really can't deal with him being Sam. If he was Bill or Harry, that's a different story. I don't have to kiss either of them, but Sam I do. I looked at myself in the mirror before regaining composer. Right as I was about to walk out of the restroom Mrs. Cook walked in looking concerned. "Marie? Are you okay dear?" She asked with genuine concern. "Yes ma'am. I will survive." I responded with a sigh. "Marie, seriously. You have never gotten overwhelmed by a script. What's wrong?" Mrs. Cook pushed. "It's not the script, or the musical. It's Brian. He is my ex, and I know I should be professional. It's just that I have to kiss his character in one of the final scenes. And I'm not just trying to get him removed it's just our history clouds everything." I explained. "Marie, I had no idea. I honestly thought Brian was better fit for Harry's character anyway. It was your band directors decision to cast him as Sam. I will talk to Brian and Micheal, who is playing Harry, and see if they are willing to switch. But no promises though." Mrs. Cook responded. "Oh thank you, seriously I think we will all be able to preform better this way." I agreed. "Me too, and Marie if you have a problem with one of the castings, please let me know and I will decide if they need to be changed." She said. "I will I promise." I said as we both went in for a hug. 

             We entered the room again and Mrs. Cook called Brian and Micheal into the hall. I sat back down in my seat and started to run back over my lines, trying to ignore all the worried stares I was receiving. "So Marie, are you okay?" Gwen asked in a hesitant tone. "Yeah, fine. Why?" I replied not taking my eyes off the script. "It's just you ran out of the room and..." Gwen then leaned into my ear to finish "I know your history with Brian isn't the greatest." "Yeah I know, but you don't have to worry I should be fine." I said back. "Okay, just checking." Gwen responded. "Okay." I answered. 

              Mrs. Cook, Brian, and Micheal, the guy playing Harry, all walked back into the room. "Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement." Mrs.Cook said once she was at her podium. "Brian and Micheal will be switching parts. Brian will take over the part of Harry and Micheal will take the part of Sam." She continued. I let out a sigh of relief when Brian and Micheal switched seats and scripts. "Hello Marie, glad to be working with you." Micheal said once he sat down. "Please, the pleasure is all mine." I responded as I extended my hand. We shook hands and then turned our attention back to Mrs. Cook. "Because we switched people around, we need to run through the script again before we start with the music." Mrs. Cook announced. We all nodded our heads in agreement. When then start from Act 1, scene 1, line 1 for a second time.

Time Skip to after practice

              I exit the building with Micheal by my side. "So when you're near me darling can't you hear me? S.O.S! And the love you gave me, nothing else can save me. S.O.S!" We sang very loudly and way off key. We burst into laughter at how awful we just sounded. "Oh my, this is gonna be a fun summer isn't it Micheal?" I said once I calmed down. "You know it!" Micheal said back. "Hey, do you think you can give me a ride home?" I asked. "Sure my truck is this way." Micheal answered. We walked to his truck and he opened the passengers side door for me. "Thank you kind sir." I said in a cheesy 1920's voice. Micheal laughed at my childish sense of humor. He then closed the door and got into the drivers side.

             We started driving away from the school. I decided to ask Micheal a question. "Hey, Micheal?" I said. "Yes?" He responded. "Can I ask you a kind of personal question?" I continued. "Sure, fire away." He responded. "Are you, well, do you have a religion?" I asked. "Um, yeah. I'm actually kind of a hard core Christian. Why do you ask?" Micheal responded. "You are? I actually am too. And I was just curious, you seemed different from the others in there." I said. "Ah I see. So what church do you attend?" He asked. "This non denominational church here in town." I answered. "I actually go the Baptist Church downtown." Micheal said. "I went there for a little while. There wasn't anything wrong with it, it just wasn't for me. I then attended my current church one day and absolutely loved the worship, and the speaker." I said. "Ah, I see. So who is the lucky guy?" Micheal asked with a chuckle. "What?" I laughed back. "You know, who is the lucky guy that you call your boyfriend?" He asked. "Oh, I have 3 of them!" I exclaimed. "Wait what?" Micheal asked in the most serious and surprised tone I have ever heard. "Yeah, me myself and I." I responded. Micheal just laughed. "So I'm guessing you aren't seeing anyone right now?" He continued. "Yeah, I'm as single as a pringle." I confirmed. "Ah, so I wouldn't get in trouble for calling you cute." Micheal asked. "No, not hardly. Are you saying that though?" I questioned. "What if I am?" Micheal said. "Then I would be blushing way more than I already am." I responded. "So what if I asked you out on a date? How would you respond?" He asked. "I would probably say yes, depending on where and when it is." I replied. "Well then, will you go out on a date with me?" He asked.