Chapter 15

Marie's position

        I walked up to the courtyard at Baylor University. It was welcome week for the freshman. We could sign up for clubs, sororities, and just meet other freshman. I was shyly walking around when I feel a tap on my shoulder from behind. I turn around and I see a brightly smiling girl with dark super curly brown hair, similar to mine, and dark chocolate brown skin. "Hi, my name is Lindsey. You seemed nice so I decided to say hi." She said cheerfully as she stuck her hand out. "Hey, I'm Marie." I smiled back and took her hand. "So what is your major?" She asked. "Not really sure. I was thinking about Music, but Theology has also sparked an interest." I responded. "You?" I added. "I was thinking Culinary Arts, but Music is also an interest." She said. I smiled and then asked "You wanna be like friends or something?" She smiled back and said "Well duh, I didn't just come over here and talk to you for shits and giggles." We both laughed and exchanged phone numbers. 

         Lindsey and I went to a coffee shop and then went down town to the Chip and Joanna Silos. It was SUPER crowded like usual. It was all worth it though. We did some shopping and some more snacking. We then ended our adventure at my place. We hung out and girl talked almost all night. Too bad that I had work in the morning. Lindsey left around 10:00 and I soon went to bed. 

Skip to first day of class

          I woke up super early for my first day of class. I showered, straightened and curled my hair again. Wore a full face of makeup, and wore an amazingly cute outfit.

 Wore a full face of makeup, and wore an amazingly cute outfit

I drove the 15 minute commute to campus and get to my first class

I drove the 15 minute commute to campus and get to my first class. College Algebra. Crap. I have always sucked at math and I bet you 100% that this will blow my tiny brain right out the back of my head. I picked a seat towards the middle, and then I sat up my laptop, voice recorder, and my other stuff. The professor walked in and we started our lesson. When the 3 hour class was finally over I walk back out to my car and start to feel sick. I sat down in the drivers seat and waited it out. This time I couldn't just go home and sleep it off. I was paying for these classes and wasn't about to miss one because if an episode. So I continued my day. 

          I finished my classes by noon, and went back home to change and then go to work. I landed a job as a receptionist at a funeral home. Yeah, I know. When people ask what I do for work, I have to say I work at a funeral home. It's morbid I know. Anyway it was a nice job. I was able to sit and study and only had to show people to the visiting room of whoever had passed away. Lindsey stopped by and gave me the other half of her lunch that wasn't even touched. Most people would say that is disgusting, but if you were a broke college student, you would be thankful for any somewhat fresh food. I finished another day of work and went home. 

       Home was, well, home. It was boring but I was thankful for the quiet. I turned on Netflix and started watching Grey's Anatomy for the billionth time. I slowly fell asleep to the show and my world faded into a memory. 

Dream/Memory

          I came home. Mom was crying. I had no idea where my brother was. The house was a mess and everything seemed to have just a lonely feeling to it. I cleaned up a little bit and then went over to my mom. I held her and tried to get her to talk but she was crying too much for her to say anything I could understand. So I just let her cry. I went up to my room and texted my dad. It didn't send, so either his phone was off or it was dead. My brother walked passed by my room and I caught him. "Hey, what the heck happened?" I asked. "She didn't tell you?" He asked. "Dad left." He continued. My jaw dropped in surprise. "Hey LEFT?" I asked not wanting to believe it. "Yeah, for some girl who moved to Germany." He responded. I stumbled back in disbelief. My dad left? He left? For another girl? In Germany? What the hell? I collapsed onto my bed. I called my dad. It went straight to voicemail. I slammed my phone down and screamed in anger and sadness. Tears were now escaping my eyes. My dad fucking left me. What the actual fuck. 

            I then heard someone rush down the hall and a bunch of commotion coming from my mom's room. I rushed into her room and saw her packing. "Mom what are you doing?" I asked in confusion. "I'm going after him. Your Dad. I know where he is going so I am going after him." She said while continuing to pack. "But, what about me and Brandon?" I asked. "You guys will stay here. You are 16 Marie, you can take care of yourself and your brother." She said harshly. "Mom, what about the house? I can't make enough money to pay for it?" I asked. "I will send you money." She said right as she got done packing. She walked over to me, put her hand no my cheek and said "Marie, I have to go. He is my husband. I'm sorry but you need to grow up now." She then left the room and went down stairs out the door and drove away. 

         My then body was consumed in panic. I fell to the floor gasping for air. I couldn't see, hear, breathe. Both of my parents left me. They left me with Brandon and I have to get 3 jobs now to even afford to do anything. My parents left.

End of Dream/Flashback

       I jolted up in a cold sweat. That was the only time I had ever truly cussed. And that was the day I grew up. Brandon is living with my grandparents so he can finish high school, and then will go off to the military like Aaron. My grandparents came and lived with us. They sold their house in Toronto (Canada) and came here to take care of us. They were truly saving grace. They were the ones who brought us to church. They helped me get saved. To learn to love the Lord. They are who shaped me to who I am. I pray for them everyday. And with knowing I wasn't getting back to sleep, I got up and started my day.