Chapter 33

Aaron's Position

            I woke up to Carson knocking on the door right before he struts in with a smile on his face and a tray of food in his hands. "Well you slept like a rock, thank god you're not in the service anymore." Carson joked. "Haha, very funny. What so called food do we have today?" I asked as I sat up. "It looks like some form of egg tasting product, something that looks like potatoes, and some sort of animal that was turned into sausage form." He described. We both laughed and I attempted to eat my breakfast. 

           Carson sat down in a chair that was in my room and I clicked on the TV. "So should we discuss what last night was about?" Carson asked, not taking his eyes off the TV. "I don't know." I responded as I looked down at my food. "So this Marie girl has gotten you talking to God, hm?" He asked as he continued to flip through the channels. "I wouldn't call last night talking with God, it was more like screaming at him." I said. "Yeah I know, you woke the entire floor." Carson joked. "Yeah I was little loud." I shrugged. "Yeah, but you had some pretty heavy stuff on your heart. Anything you wanna talk about?" He asked as he set my food on my side table. "No, I think God and the entire floor got the gist of it last night." I responded as I wearily started to eat my "food". "Aaron, just know that God is always there, and everything happens for a reason." Carson said with a genuine look in his eyes. 

            I stoped mid chew, and looked Carson dead in the eye. "Are you a Christian?" I asked. Carson smiled and said "Yes, I am." "How come you never told me?" I asked. "You never asked." Carson shot back sarcastically. He then proceeded to pull out his phone and just scroll through whatever he was scrolling through. My therapist walked in with his normal positive attitude. "Good morning sergeant! You ready to do some therapy?" He said way too peppy for this early in the morning. "Yeah yeah, just drop some of the peppiness." I answered sarcastically. " Ok, done. Now just get in the chair." he said as he gestured to the wheelchair he brought with him. I got up and used my walker to hop over to the wheelchair. "Good job sergeant Taylor!" My therapist exclaimed. I gave him that "remember what i told you look" and he said "Oh yeah, I forgot, drop some pep." before he wheeled me out of my room and to the PT lab. 

              We get there and I already dread going. I want to get better but geez, I hate therapy. We did my usual warm up, and then got started. We did the parallel bars, and the three step stairs. I was getting good at using my upper body strength to lift me up. And my balance on one leg was getting impeccable. I sat back down in my wheelchair, soaked in sweat, with a huge smile on my face. "I'm glad to see you're proud of yourself." my therapist said as he handed my a bottle of water. "Well yeah, I have been getting better everyday." I responded as I struggled to open the bottle. I got it open and gulped down at least half of it. My therapist laughed. Once I was satisfied I wiped my mouth off and let out a great sigh. "So, when do I get shipped to UT?" I asked as I was still catching my breathe. "I think you are ready, I want you out of here by the end of the week." He said. I smiled. "So what, Thursday?"  I asked. "That is the plan." My therapist said with a chuckle. I was overjoyed. I was ready to get my prosthetic. I wanted to walk. By myself and with no handle bars. I was ready to get my leg back.