Chapter 1: First Day

! before starting, I wanted to clarify that Pidge is 15, while Keith, Hunk, and Lance are 17, and Matt and Shiro are 18 anyways, enjoy!  ]

_________

Pidge woke up to the sound of constant knocking on her bedroom door.

"Knock knock, wake up sleepy head and get ready for your first day of highschool!" shouted her older brother through the door.

Pidge put her pillow over her head to block out the sound, "Stop acting like a dad Matt."

"I'm just helping you out Pidge." Matt said as he walked into her room and grabbing and pulling her blanket off her bed. Pidge shivered as her body was exposed to the cold air because she wore a t-shirt and pajama shorts.

"Matt come on." she complained. She grabbed her hands out so Matt would give her blanket back

"You'll thank me later, cause it'll be easy for you to wake up early like this." he tried to persuade his little sister.

"Haha, very funny Matt. Now give me my blanket back." she said annoyed.

"Nope, you're gonna get dressed and ready for school, you have to look your best today, a freshman going to school as a junior isn't common, so get your butt out of bed little missy." Matt laughed.

His sister groaned as he was getting on her nerves, "Fine!"

"Told ya." he smirked, "So get dressed, I'll meet you downstairs with breakfast."

Pidge laid in bed for a few minutes before actually getting ready. She wore denim shorts, a light green hoodie, and white high top sneakers. She of course had her round glasses her brother gave her that rested on the bridge of her nose.

She went out of her room to eat breakfast, then left with her brother, driving them both to school in his car.

Matt parked the car and headed to the front of the school like everyone else. Pidge looked up at the huge building, it was intimidating, very different from middle school, and to start as a junior? She was scared but also thrilled to be going to highschool.

"I'm not sure I'm ready for this." She told Matt.

"Don't worry Pidge." Matt said knudging her, "You'll be fine. If something bad happens, just tell your big brother and I'll beat them up for you." He winked.

"As if you could." Pidge laughed.

Just then, two boys caught up to Pidge and her brother.

"Hey Pidge! Hey Matt, man I haven't seen you in ages, we missed you a lot." said the tall brown-haired boy, it was Lance.

"Yea me too." the bigger one said, Pidge looked behind her to see two of her best friends, Hunk and Lance. She smiled at the two, "Yea same goes for me."

"I guess little Pidgey didn't have to go through two gruelling years of highschool huh." Lance joked. "Smarty pants."

"I'll take that as a compliment." Pidge said pushing up her glasses.

* time skip *

Pidge had sat down in the middle of her classroom. She didn't have the same first period as anyone she knew, so she was alone.

Students were still walking in, as they all sat at the two seater desks. No one had bothered to sit next to Pidge though. Just then a boy who was tall, and had dark hair walked into the classroom right as the bell rang.

"Ah. Mr. Keith Kogane, you got very lucky." said Pidge's english teacher. "You can sit down next to this nice young lady while you're at it." pointing to Pidge, since the spot next to her was the only spot left.

The boy sat down next to Pidge, he put his head on his desk, he didn't seem to care much.

"Okay class, I am your english teacher, you can call me Professor Coran." said the english teacher. He was tall and red headed, with a nicely curled mustache on top his mouth.

Pidge sat up straight in her seat, she wanted to look presentable as a junior. Then she heard people whispering behind her.

"Hey is that Katie Holt?" Someone muttered.

"Yea I think it is." Someone answered.

"I heard she skipped two grades." Someone else said.

Pidge felt uncomfortable. She didn't like people talking about her behind her back, so she slumped down in her chair, covering her face a bit with her hoodie. Keith noticed her tense up as the muttering continued.

"She doesn't even look like a highschooler." Another person said.

"Haha I know right? She looks like a little kid, her feet don't even touch the ground!" Someone stated.

Keith was listening to the side converstations, he looked down to Pidge's feet, which didn't touch the ground.

"So, she's just short." Keith thought.

The muttering continued, as Pidge felt like an outsider more and more. She was on the verge of tears from all the rude comments people were saying about her. How she's a science nerd, how she's such a teachers pet. But she kept them in, she sat back up straight looking down at her hands.

"Class quiet down." Professor Coran said, "Now I am assigning you guys a project. You will work with a partner and create a piece. It can be art, sculptures, an invention, or essay, about the goodness in our world."

Everyone groaned in complaint.

"Now now," he continued, "your partner will be who ever you are sitting next to right now.

Keith looked over at the small girl, still looking down at her hands.

"So for the next 10 ish minutes, I'll let you get to know your partner, so you can create a masterpiece!" Their teacher said. "So get to it."

Everyone started talking to each other with a "Hi" or "Hello" as Pidge took a breather.

Keith looked at his partner, she looked sad, "Hey are you ok-" he got cutt off by her putting her hand out.

"Hi, I'm Katie, but you can call me Pidge." She said, forcing a smile.

"I'm Keith." He replied shaking her hand. "Her hands so small.." he thought.

"Hey, you know.. If you want to talk about it." He reassured her.

"No, I'm fine." She replied quickly.

"Are you sure? You seemed sad."

"Yea, I'm good. Thanks though. So, tell me a bit about yourself." She said looking up at her partner.

"Well.. uh, I'm 17, I have an older brother, he goes here, and um.. I like music."

"Cool, I have an older brother too, he goes here too." Pidge replied.

"Nice. Now tell me something about you." Keith said looking down at her.

"Um.. I'm 15, I have a dog, and uh.. I like science."

"Wait- your 15? And your a junior?" He said confused.

"Yea.." Pidge replied scratching the back of her head, embarrassed. "I skipped two grades."

"Wow. You're really smart then."

"Eh. I'd like to think it as, juniors are just too dumb." She joked.

They both laughed and talked for the rest of the 10 minutes, saying bye to each other as they went to their next period.