Chapter 2

Kara's POV
I wake up to the blaring noise of my alarm feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead. I have work as well as Supergirl duties and a lunch date with Lena. Big Belly Burger of course. She loves it. Almost as much as I love potstickers which means with her whole entire being. I love the way her face lights up and her eyes glisten when I show her I brought some. And the way she says how I'm her favourite person. I've never really had a best friend that isn't Alex because everyone saw me as a weird kid. It's nice knowing that someone's there for you through everything no matter what. Especially when that someone is Lena Luthor.
She's such an amazing human. I don't understand why someone would think she was like her brother. I've said it once and I'll say it as many times as I have to: the Luthor name doesn't deserve Lena. She's smart, kind, caring and beautiful. And oh Rao her eyes are so breathtaking and that eyebrow... the way it arches is so... sexy. Don't even get me started on her accent. It's music to my ears. I love that she's my best friend because it means that I get to see her everyday without needing to explain why I'm there.
But I feel terrible. I'm lying to her, to my best friend who I love so dearly. She doesn't know I'm Supergirl but every time I'm with her I feel like I'm going to burst. She deserves the truth but Alex, J'onn, James and everyone tells me to wait and that she needs to prove she's not like her brother or mother. But she's proved herself so many times like when she made the suit for me when kryptonite was released into the atmosphere and how she reversed it as well. I think they don't trust her because of her last name. But that shouldn't have anything to do with it. Rao. I've rambled again.
I get up and I get ready for my day, thinking of how I can prove to everyone that Lena is a million times better than her family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At L-Corp
I wait patiently in the elevator as it takes me to my destination. I step out when it dings, fiddling with my glasses and making sure everything I ordered is in the bag. Lena hates it when I don't check. I walk towards the door and smile at Jess who returns it.
"I'd be careful. She's stressing a lot, trying to finish a bunch of paper work the board just dumped on her."
I frown as I nod "Ok. I'm sure I'll cheer her up." I say with a small smile at my lips, glancing at the bag in my hand.
Jess smirks "I'm sure you will."
I give her a confused and questioning look as I fix my glasses, but she does not respond and instead goes back to her work on her computer.
I knock as I enter. "I come bearing gifts."
I get a groan in response as I spot Lena sitting at her desk with her head down, pen in hand and a frown on her beautiful face.
"Nice to see you too, Lena"
She lifts her head slightly and looks me in the eye as a small smile tugs on her lips.
"I apologise." She says, her accent slipping, making we swoon slightly.
"A lot of paper work was just dumped on me and I have to finish it today."
I frown and tilt my head in confusion "But you're the CEO, can't you just set your own deadline?"
She chuckles softly, placing the pen delicately on her desk.
"I wish. However, that is not the case."
"No time for Big Belly Burger then?" I say with slight sadness and disappointment.
Her expression softens as she looks at me with those gorgeous green eyes.
"I'll always have time for Big Belly Burger. And, of course, the amazing woman who I share it with." She smiles softly and her eyes glisten.
I fix my glasses and look at the ground, a slight rose tint on my cheeks. I then lift my head and-
"Right back at ya!"
She raises her perfect eyebrow in an arch as she smirks.
Oh Rao. What was that. It just came out. That was so embarrassing. I once again fiddle with my glasses and look away, the embarrassment clear by the redness of my cheeks. Lena, of course, chuckles at that as she moves all of the paper work, making room for her meal.
"Well? Are you going to stand there looking like a tomato or are you going to sit and enjoy our meal?"
I smile and take a seat, helping her unpack everything in the bag.
"So," she begins "How has work been so far?"
The curiosity in her voice is obvious, making it clear to me that she is actually interested in my life which makes me so much more grateful I have her as my best friend.
"Not bad. I'm working on a new story though." I say as I take a big bite of the burger in my hand, Lena smiling as she watches and takes another bite of her salad.
"Care to enlighten me on what the story is?"
I nod excitedly. "Hitsh aboo hoo"
She raises her eyebrows and squints, as if trying to decipher what I said with a mouth full of burger. The corners of her red lips then raise as she repeats what I said to her, but clearer.
"It's about me?" She asks questioningly, her head tilting slighting, her face sporting a frown.
I nod and she asks me to elaborate.
"Well I know that L-Corp is a force for good and has and will continue to make changes that better our world. I also know that the CEO is an extraordinary woman who deserves to be seen as that way, not as 'Lex Luthor's sister whose probably just as insane as him' because we both know you're nothing like him." Lena smiles at me as her eyes look at me with... admiration?
"I know that there are some people out there who still see you as a Luthor and not Lena, which is why I'm writing a story on everything you've done and how the world would be suffering more without your help. How you've saved someone who's considered a hero and so many other lives. You deserve to be recognised as a good person, no, a phenomenal person, because that's who you are, but everyone is blinded by the fear that Lex and Lillian instigated on the Luthor name."
Lena looks at me with tears welling in her green orbs and gives me a look I haven't seen in her eyes before... love. She blinks rapidly trying to rid the tears. She gently takes my hand as she smiles at me which I gladly return.
"Thank you."
"It's no problem. You mean everything to me and I want people to know the real you and not see you as someone they can trust. This article will show people the Lena Luthor I know."
She shakes her slightly and chuckles.
"I meant thank you for everything. You're the only person who hasn't judged me harshly from the start and who has stuck by me through everything, even when I thought that no one would. You're the phenomenal one here Kara. Not me."
"How about we compromise and say that we're both phenomenal?"
She laughs, showing her perfect teeth.
"Ok Kara."
I smile and get out of my chair. Lena frowns and watches as I make my way around her desk.
"Get up."
She slowly rises out of her chair and looks at me with confusion. A look that is then replaced by surprise as I pull her in for a hug.
She doesn't hesitate to hug me back, making me smile as I know she is comfortable around me. I take a breath, inhaling her scent - mint and vanilla - enjoying it just as much as the smell of potstickers.
We pull apart as she clears her throat.
"Thank you for lunch and, again, for everything. As much as I hate to say it I really must get back to work if I want to finish this in time. Not that I want you to go. I'm not kicking you out or anything-"
I smile as I cut in "It's fine. I understand. I need to get back anyway, my lunch is almost over."
She smiles and I pull her in for another hug. We stand there for what feels like forever. Then we slowly part. I look into her eyes.
"I will see you tomorrow."
She smiles.
"I look forward to it."
It's only then I realise how close our faces are. Our lips are so close they would touch if I just leaned in ever so sligh-
Snap out of it!
I clear my throat and step back, fixing my glasses as my cheeks heat up.
"Bye, Lena."
I smile slightly.
"Until tomorrow."
I then turn around and head out the door stopping on the other side of it.
Holy Rao! What was that? It felt weird but, in a good way. What am I saying! She's a woman! And my BEST FRIEND!
I shake my head and walk to the elevator, not noticing the smirk Jess throws my way.

Lena's POV
I slowly sit back in my seat as I try to process what just happened.
It looked like Kara was going to kiss me! The way she looked at my lips and it appeared as though she was leaning in! Oh my God!
Think rationally Lena. She doesn't like you like that. She's not even into women.
I listen to the rational part of my brain, knowing I need to in order to get my work done. I take a deep breath and shake my head, a small smile on my lips and continue with my work.