Chapter 4

Kara's POV
4 days later
It feels like Lena's been ignoring me. We haven't had a lunch date since Monday and now it's Saturday. We arranged for her to join us for game night tonight but I don't know if she'll come.
"She'll come. You need to stop worrying." Alex places a comforting hand on my arm. I sigh and turn to her.
"But we haven't seen each other in days and she replies to my texts with 'Can't talk right now, meeting'. Why would she be avoiding me?"
"You don't know that she is avoiding you. She could just be drowning in work."
"Maybe..."
Alex smiles at me.
"Come on. Help me set up."
I nod and follow her.

Lena's POV
I've been avoiding Kara. I can't face her knowing that I'm in lo.. that I lo... that I have feelings for her. It's too confusing. Especially considering she has kept her identity from me. I sigh deeply and check my watch. I'm meant to go to game night tonight but I don't think it's the best idea. But I also don't want to let Kara down. Why is life so difficult?

Screw it. Go.
Don't go. What if you slip up and tell her about your feeling or that you know her secret?
It's worth the risk if it means that Kara will be happy.
I sigh and begin to pack up, knowing my decision.

Kara's POV
I hear a knock on my door and use my X-ray vision to see who it is.
"ITS LENA!"

I leap out of my chair and run to the door, almost ripping it off its hinges when I open it. I smile huge then go red when I see the look on her face. The perfectly raised eyebrow and smirk on her red lips tells me that she heard me shout.

"Kara. How are you?"
"I'm good. And you?"
"Tired but I wouldn't miss this for the world."
She smiles at me and I return it, then bring her in for a hug, squeezing tightly. I feel a presence behind me as we pull back from the hug. I turn and see James.

"Can I speak to Lena please Kara?"
I frown.
"Uh. Sure."
I walk away saddened that James is stealing some of my Lena time. I sit back down and watch as they go into the hall. I, of course, listen.

"What can I do for you James?"
"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out on Friday."
"Why?"
"To get to know each other more like you said we could."
"Right."
I use my X-ray vision to see Lena's reaction. She's tense and has her arms crossed. She's uncomfortable.

"I was thinking we could go for dinner and then maybe drinks or a movie."
Too cliche for Lena. Lena's eyes widen as she feigns realisation.
"Oh. I can't actually do Friday. I have a gala that evening I must attend."
"Maybe I can accompany you."
"I'm afraid I have already asked someone who has accepted."
James frowns.
"Who?"
Lena falters but recovers quickly.
"Kara."
What?
"What?" James repeats my inner thought.
"Kara never mentioned anything to me."
"Why would she? It's our business."
Lena has a stern look on her face. James clears his throat and looks down.
"Right. Fair enough. Some other time?"
Lena sighs.
"I'm just going to be straight with you. I'm not looking for anything romantic right now and I'm afraid I don't feel anything towards you."
James has a hurt look on his face.
"But you could if we get to know each other more. That's why I'm asking you out. You never know until-"
"James I'm gay."

He pauses, opening and closing his mouth multiple times trying to find the right words.
I knew it. Told ya so James.
"Oh. Ok. Sorry I pushed."
Lena smiles slightly and touches his shoulder.
"It's quite alright James."
He smiles.
"Should we go to the others and join in with the fun?"

James nods and before they enter
I turn around, only now noticing the smirks on everyone's faces.
"What?"
Alex just shakes her head.
Lena and James walk in and James drops next to Winn and Lena places herself on my left. I turn to her and hand her some cards.
"Are you with me?"
She smiles at me.
"Always."
I blush slightly and turn back to everyone else. The teams are Winn and James, Alex and J'onn, Nia and Brainy and me and Lena.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We played for hours and finish just after midnight. Alex is drunk and slurring all of her words and has no filter. Exhibit A:
"James. Your sister is like sooooo hot. What happened to you man?"
Winn won't shut up about nerdy stuff and Star Wars.
"Star Wars is so coooooool. We should binge every movie next week instead of playing games."
James keeps moaning about how crap his love life is.
"I never get the girl I want. When I do, they always break up with me coz I'm too annoying or something."
Even Lena had a couple of drinks, although she hasn't said anything embarrassing so she must still be sober. Me, Nia, Brainy and J'onn are all sober of course as human alcohol doesn't effect us. Soon after everyone begins to leave, but I stop Lena before she goes out the door.

"Wait Lena. Can we talk?"
She nods and follows me back to the sofa.
"Are you ok?" She asks with concern and I smile in response.
"Yeah I'm fine. It's just that we haven't seen each other for a few days and I missed our lunch dates." I pout and give her my best puppy dog look.
"You could get anything you want with that look you know that?" Her voice has no trace of the American accent, her Irish connections showing. I swallow the lump in my throat as I get a little flustered for some reason and I fix my glasses.
She smirks and raises her eyebrow.

"Why do you put on the accent?"
She bites her red lip, making me clench my jaw.
"I am a woman who is the CEO of a huge company. Many men believe that because I'm a woman they can take advantage and walk all over me and run circles around me. Obviously that is not the case. However, if I was an Irish woman then they would try to take advantage of that. Try to find a way to send me back so they can take the company. Also they would comment on my accent, which can get very annoying. Being a woman is hard enough in this business. Being a woman that isn't from America would make them think I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing so they'd be even bigger dicks than they already are."
I giggle when she says that.
"You shouldn't have to hide your accent. I think it's beautiful."
Her cheeks turn red like her lips and she looks down at her fingers as she begins to play with them.
"Thank you."
She looks back up and smiles at me.
"I think no more cancellations of our lunch dates is a better thank you."
She chuckles and moves her long locks out of her face.
"Sorry about that. Work has been a nightmare. I'll make sure that from now on I never have a meeting between the hours of 1 and 2."
I smile and pull her in for a tight hug.
"Good."

I close my eyes and sigh contently.
I could stay here forever.
Lena clears her throat and pulls away. I gently touch her cheeks, stopping her from moving too far. She looks deep into my eyes while mine flicker down to her lips.
Rao. They're so full and plump. I wonder what they feel like.
I feel myself leaning in and hear Lena's breath hitch.
What am I doing? This is wrong. She's my best friend.
But it feels so right.

I begin to close my eyes as my lips get closer to Lena's, butterflies appearing in my stomach and my heart rate increasing to a speed it hasn't reached before. My lips are about to touch Lena's and I-
RING! RING!
We jump away from each other and I search for my phone, trying my best to slow down my heart rate.

I find it and see it's Alex calling.
"Hello?"
"Tuuurn on the news."
"What? Why?"
"Just doooooooooo it!"
She hangs up. I quickly grab the remote and turn on the news.
BREAKING NEWS: A MAN, GOING BY THE NAME AGENT LIBERTY, HAS GATHERED PEOPLE TO MAKE A SPEECH.
Me and Lena share a confused look then go back to watching.
"People of National City. I am Agent Liberty and these are my children. We have gathered you because there is a problem in this city. Aliens. Roaches. They've decided to call our planet their home. But it's not theirs. It's ours. Before them, we lived in peace. Now there is more crime because of them. They're evil and they want to destroy our city. We must get rid of them!"
I turn off the TV and sit, shocked.
"Holy shit."
"Oh Ra- God. Who is that guy?"
"I don't know. But he couldn't be more wrong."
I smile at that.
"Aliens deserve to live here just as much as we do. They're not horrible. They're amazing. I mean Supergirl's an alien and she fights crime. So does Superman. He's an idiot."
"You're right."
She smirks and raises her eyebrow.
"I'm always right."
I laugh. We sit in silence for a few seconds until Lena clears her throat.

"Anyway, I should go. I still have a lot of work to do so I have to get up early."
"Right." I smile as she stands.
"Oh. I forgot to ask. Would you like to accompany me to a gala on Friday?"
I smirk, then quickly replace it with a smile.
"Wouldn't miss it for the world."
She smiles gratefully then heads towards the door.
"I'll see you for lunch tomorrow?"
I ask with hope.
"See you at lunch." She smiles and leaves.

Holy Rao. Holy Rao. Me and Lena nearly kissed... AGAIN. I don't understand. I need Alex. I pick up my phone and call her.
"Did I forget something ooorrrr"
Crap. I forgot she's drunk.
"Is there anyway you can sober up like now?"
"Biiitch no. I've had toooo many."
I sigh, pinching my nose.
"Never mind. I will talk to you tomorrow."
"Mmmmmkaaaayy"
I roll my eyes and hang up.
What a night.