Meeting.

Melinoë's POV

Hot. The car was boiling and even with all of my windows open as far as they could go no results could be felt. Whilst sat in the car with Smii7y he kept the music playing but it was so clear that he was overheating as well but he kept it covered a little better. My hair was pulled back into two buns and the air hit my neck. I had shades on and not much else left me feeling summer-ready. July was the ultimate time of the year for some but as a true ginger, it was filled with fear of the sun and the burn it left.

The small house of my parents' was met and I felt myself tense. Smii7y was a good man but parents do the darnedest things. Saying all sorts that they don't believe, they couldn't believe everything that they said. My home had always been a welcoming one and the small smile on his face showed that he was nervous.

"Don't be so nervous. It isn't like we are in a relationship. You're my friend and they know I don't ruin a friendship by getting all nasty. Besides, I wouldn't go out with a person who lived thousands of miles away. So, my parents won't badger you." This had the opposite reaction than desired. He was not as nervous though but his face fell and a frown was seen. I would address it later but my parents were waiting. "Come on then." I smiled at him and we got out of the car. Joking whilst also practically skipping, I approached the door and waited patiently for Smii7y. He was a little slow for my liking. I knocked and saw that he had a small look of thought and so linked our two arms together.

"Mely. Lovely to see you and..." Mum was about to fill in the gap that she had left for a short question when I told her and she gave a disbelieving smile. Mum was always one for love and so a hug was given and Smii7y had never looked so awkward since I had met him.

When we entered our shoes came off and the sofas were sat on. Smii7y had sat before me and I joined right next to him even if the other sofa was empty. I enjoyed sitting with him and laughing. We had fun. When I got bored I glanced at what Smii7y was writing, I noticed that he was messaging John. I had to smile but the word filled my mind. One word was all he said but before he sent it some more words were added. Like a last-minute action.

Friendzoned. So hard that freaking Harry bloody Potter would be able to notice it and we could cry together. Even then he probably still had it better. Dude, TF I do?

I felt bad and wanted to help but it would show me as rude and so I stopped. Hoping it would work itself out as he deserved to be as happy as possible. I had been so lost in all of my thoughts as the window was watched that Smii7y had to basically push me just to get my attention. I stood and followed into the dining room.

We sat at the table and I picked at my food before paying attention to the room and the words people were speaking. The pasta was always a favourite of mine and yet I had no desire to eat. I felt so busy thinking that the idea of Smii7y not being happy, it was not at all acceptable.

"How did you two meet?" I heard mum ask and I piped up. Figuring Smii7y wanted to be able to step back.

"Work. His friend got my details and then we kept talking on from there." I commented and a look of realisation hit dad. I didn't know what he was realising but there was nothing to realise, all I could think to do was avoid the topic of us. Scared of the links he was creating in his head. That was when my phone buzzed. It was John again.

How would you get out of the friend zone?

I figure this is about that random message Smii7y sent a little while ago but what is this girl like?

Just please, we will try it all.

How could a dude get out of the friendzone for you?

He would have to be there for me. Live close or be willing to travel. I have a lot of baggage so he would have to be a person I felt more comfortable around. My family would have to like them.

What specific actions, like flowers?

No flowers. I can't stand flowers as a present because it makes no sense. Have a dead organism.

What then?

Spend time with me and open up about themselves and also make sure that I am not aware of it. I don't want to feel pressured into any relationship.

I shall give it a go. By the way, Smii7y isn't into a girl. He was describing the way I could describe it to my family. Thanks, borthor.

Ya welcome biatch. XXX

I put my phone down and packed my dish into the kitchen just as everyone else had. It was an odd day and the texts had thrown me a little further. It was sad to know that I could do nothing for John and in turn Smii7y, for once. I knew that it was Smii7y who was struggling with the friend zone, not John.

We didn't stay long as the two looked ready for bed and so were we. At least, we were all too ready to fall into a deep depression on my sofa. We waved goodbye and left to go back to my house. The drive was short but it felt comfortable and Smii7y smiled more. As we got to my house his phone buzzed constantly as texts came through. His eyes shot up to me and then down. He sent off a short text and then the phone was turned off.

When we got inside I sat perpendicular to him as he sat forward and I sat across the sofa with my back on his shoulder. Our eyes were taking different things in. Until I felt my body drop as he pushed me slightly to lean me across his lap and I was lying perfectly still. Not much movement.

"They seemed lovely." I nodded and looked at my ceiling with bored eyes. My mind was a million miles away and I had a feeling that he could tell as his hands began to play with my hair and occasionally brush across my face. My body tingled as he did this.

"Always have. I remember shouting at them about how they had no right to take control of me. They weren't my parents and Ophion had done such a great job. I once even gave mum a heart attack, nearly, when I threw my plate on the floor. Refusing to eat their food. Ophion should have cooked. I was a silly girl." He continued to play with my hair with a look of intrigue but also indifference. It was like he wanted me to go on but only if I was comfortable with it.

"Why?" Was all he asked and I felt like I was able to tell the truth to him. Something I had never done before. It was my past and not his but he wanted to know.

"I am adopted. Mum and dad were a pair of good for nothings. Ended up just leaving at one point. Going to the shop and not coming back. Ophion raised me for my life but most especially that year. For one whole year, he washed my clothes and the house. I had to help and I did. Scared someone would just notice and take us away. I was stupid and had a child's belief in them. Thinking that they cared enough to come back one day in the far off future. The funny thing is, school only noticed because I suddenly had clean and washed clothes." I wasn't happy but I also was. Ophion was my life and he was always going to be but to a lesser degree, other people were going to find out eventually. Smii7y set about apologising and I stopped him. "Don't say that you are sorry. You didn't do a thing. Nothing at all. Unless you have a child who is 20 and you left her all those years ago." He shook his head and began to caress my face. His thumb running across my cheek as I felt a tear fall. Only one tear fell that time.