CHAPTER 6 - The truth

The sun shone through the towering jungle of concrete, the streets bustling with tired energy as its citizens woke themselves from their slumber and crawled along the roads, footpaths, busses and trains to arrive at their destination for that day. The grey and black suits filling the city centre as each individual bee-lined their way to their occupations. Small children screamed with delight as they ran around the metal playgrounds of their schools, teenagers – tired-eyed from sleepless nights of homework and procrastination – dragged themselves from their warm cocoons as they prepared for the long day to follow. Everything was normal, everything was chugging along – day after day like clockwork. Steam rose from the sewers as the rising sun brought temperatures scrambling. It was a normal day for most, even the special one per cent of the population, all except two. A boy with brown hair who anticipated the ending of the day of education so he could conceal his identity away behind a mask and swing between the towers of New York, stopping all crime that came to face him even if it meant receiving a churro from a nice old lady for getting her cat out of a tree – being the Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man.

Though he was not the only one who leads a life of secrecy, no. Somewhere far from the reaches of the clockwork people that resided in New York, a name of Stark and a house of oddity, you stirred under the golden sun that cast over you softly. The silhouetted city blinking in and out of blurriness as your eyelids fluttered open ever so slightly. You sunk further into the mattress made of clouds as the coolness of the constant air-conditioning touched your face. It was pleasant, you were at peace while your mind resided in its start-up. A long groan escaped your throat as your motor functions came to awake. Your feet landed upon the cold floor beneath causing the hairs on your arms to stand on end. As you showered under the curtain of steamy water you couldn't help but think about the clockwork people in the city that never slept. How their lives were so vastly different from yours, how they lived with no fear of being discovered, how the smallest of things brought them happiness while you resided far from the cold icy grip of the world, stuck in your own reality of riches and genius. Though you had a taste of both, knowing what both lives endeared. And it was only this one where you felt you truly belonged – like it was your destiny, your real home. Home wasn't where you took shelter, home was who surrounded you, home was with your genius, playboy, billionaire, philanthropist father. Anywhere he was, was home. Your mind wandered back to Emily. How much you regretted your last conversation was un-comprehendible, but you still stood proud on your side of the argument. After taking the liberty to dry yourself off with a towel and slip into some fresh clothes that Stark gifted to you, a small rapping comes from the bedroom door disturbing you from your thoughts.

"Kid, you in there?" The familiar voice runs throughout the room and you opened the door revealing the man who stood proudly in a tailored suit though the graphic tee he wore underneath stuck out like a sore thumb – yet somehow it suited him. "Oh, thought you'd still be asleep, that's what teenagers do right?" It was entertaining seeing him confused by the concept of teenagers when he himself somewhat resembled one. "Y-You're not broken or something?"

"No." You chuckled swatting down what you thought might be a genuine concern. "It's just time zones, everything here is making my body a bit out of sync."

"Can't argue with that." He crossed his arms and leant up against the doorway. "So," He clicked his tongue trying to find a conversation. "Have anything...planned for today?" His voice trailing off with a side of awkwardness.

"Uh...I thought I was the one to be asking you that?"

"Of course, of course." He pushed himself away from the doorway and shifted his weight, thinking quietly to himself before he spoke up. "Have you eaten yet?" You shook your head. "Well how about I make breakfast and then we can decide what we're gonna do?"