CHAPTER 9 - The interview

The car pulled up outside the high school, your heart skipped a beat as Happy opened the door and you stepped out into the slightly more polluted air and read the sign.

"Midtown School of Science and Technology" You read the sign out loud. You flinched as a file was shoved into your grip.

"Don't lose that, that's proof that you're actually (Y/N) (L/N)." Tony addressed you.

"Ok dad-Mr. Stark." You internally cringed at the formality and followed Tony up the steps to the school, he had ordered Happy to wait in the car. "That felt so weird."Never again did you want to call him Mr Stark but it was something that you would, unfortunately, would have to get used to. The wooden and glass door creaked as you pushed open the front entrance into the main building. It was musty and smelt of stress and sweat, a familiar smell that you had somehow missed. As you walked through the building you peered into classrooms, watching the students work busily away. Some catching a glance at you and following your stare – or maybe it was the fact that you had Tony freaking Stark next to you.

It was third period for Peter Parker, chemistry. As the teacher turned back to the board at the front of the classroom he leant over and pulled out a drawer at the side of the table. Checking the coast was clear he poured a chemical into the flask. It began to bubble and hiss as he mixed it – a new and more durable web fluid he had been working on. He couldn't wait to test it after school.

"Peter!" Quickly he pushed the drawer shut with his foot and stared at the angry teacher. "Are you gonna answer the question?"

"Oh uh...Sorry, what was the question again?" The teacher repeated her words with a frustrated sigh to which Peter quickly began to answer but trailed off as someone caught his eye. Tony Stark crossed his vision as he passed the classroom leading a girl behind him, he could only wonder what he was doing here and who was she.

"Peter!"

"Sorry Miss!"

Finally, you made it to the principal's office and was greeted with a firm handshake. "Mr Stark, Miss (L/N). I am Principal Morita. Please, take a seat." You followed the man into the office and sat nervously on the other side of the desk with Tony taking up residence next to you. "Mr Stark has told me many great things about you (Y/N), as it seems you have quite an incredible mind."

"Thank you." You laugh nervously.

"So, tell me, what brings you to America. Because my understanding is that you're Australian?" You glance at Tony not sure what to say – panicked.

"Don't worry." He soothes you. "Just tell him." You divert your attention back to the man in front of you.

"Well, I uh...I am from Australia and I came to America on the Stark internship. I didn't get the best marks but that's because I wanted to fit in. The people at my school there were not like others and I was scared to use my intelligence, not even my own parents knew. I used to study at night, teach myself. But then I reached out to Mr Stark and he put me up to a test which I passed."

"Full marks, the best result I've ever seen. She's nearly as smart as me." You let Tony have his brief proud dad moment then continued.

"So, he offered that I come up to America, so I can learn from him and go somewhere where I won't be afraid to be myself."

"Interesting...Very impressive." Principal Morita responded in wonderment. Gradually you became more comfortable and the story of (Y/N) (L/N) rolled off your tongue like it had many times before. After an hour or so of formalities and talking you expected the paperwork to come next, but something was blocking your path. "A test." You frowned, you hadn't been aware that you'd need to do an entry test to go to this school. It made sense, but you would've thought that Tony Stark been there would've made the process quicker. But alas, apparently it was school regulation according to Principal Morita.

"Don't worry, your smart kid. It's just a simple test." Tony patted you lightly on the back as you were led to a separate room where a small booklet of paper laid out for you. "You got this." He gave you one more reassuring smile as you sat down at the wooden table and picked up the pen. You didn't know why you were stressing but looking at how simple the questions were eased your nerves – easy being extremely mind consuming to a normal student. Within five minutes you walked out of the room, all ten pages of logic straining questions completed.

"You done, already?" The principal's eyes widened in surprise to which you nodded in response. "That's the fastest anyone has ever completed it. You realise the normal completion rate is over one hour?"

"Yeah, it's not that hard." He looked back and forth between you and the paper in disbelief.

"I told you." Tony caught his attention. "She's special."

"Special she is..." He muttered as he flicked through the paper. "This is completely correct, no mistakes." He held out his hand for you to shake. "Welcome to Midtown Tech." A wide grin burst onto your face and you took the chance to glance at Tony, a proud father staring down at his incredibly smart daughter. "We just need to sign some paperwork then you should be good to start tomorrow."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" You could barely contain your excitement. You wanted to scream and shout and jump in joy. Fury was right, Stark had changed for the better. He knew he couldn't keep you locked up forever and that you needed some freedom. You could never tell anyone who you really were, but it was a sacrifice you were willing to make. A compromise – halfway happy.

---

That night when he had made sure you were well and truly asleep he crossed the living room floor to make a rather important call.

"Hey, Kid." He spoke into the camera on his phone.

"Mr Stark, hi!" A loud crash came through the speaker making Tony glare into the camera.

"What're you up to?"

"Hmm, oh, nothing much." Peter sprung up into the air as a car almost collided with him on the busy streets of New York. He shot a web into the air and swung from building the building, the air rushing past him, the adrenaline pumping through his heart.

"Sure...Anyway, I need to ask you a favour."

"A favour, from me? Of course, Mr Stark, anything!" The kid was always enthusiastic and the thought that Tony Stark needed something from him blew his spider mind.

"There's a girl that's gonna start going to your school tomorrow. Goes by the name (Y/N) (L/N). I need you to keep an eye on her."

"Me? Keep an eye on her? Did she do something bad?"

"What? No. Pete focus, she's from Australia and she's here on a Stark internship."

"Oh, one like mine?"

"Not exactly, a bit different. Anyway, I need you to report back to me on her, tell me who she becomes friends with, who her teachers are, anything she does that seems a bit reckless. You can do that for me, right?"

"Uh, yeah, sure Mr Stark." Peter swung around the next corner and landed on his apartment building and began crawling back to his window above him. "May I ask exactly why I need to do all this?"

"No, you may not. Look, don't ask questions kid, just do as I say. Now make sure she doesn't find out that you're the spider-ling..."

"Spider-Man," Peter muttered back in response as he slid open his window. "It's Spider-Man."Tony knew well and truly what Peter was actually called but decided to be a small pain in the ass, something that he found quite enjoyable.

"Oh and, try not to blow your cover. You can't tell her anything about this conversation. Don't even mention your internship. Tell everyone to shut the hell up about it, I would like it to remain a complete secret."

"Is that all, Mr Stark."

"One more thing, if you start to fall for her or even think about her in some lude way for a single second I swear to god I will blow you sky high...got that?" Peter gulped, he had no idea what he was getting himself into.

"Got it."

"Good. Bye kid." Tony hung up the phone and rocked back and forth on his feet. Everything had been set up. The interview had gone well, signatures had been somewhat forged, and your cover had been kept. Everything was going to be fine. Tony raised his phone once more and made another important call. The drive was too far from here to your new school and you couldn't keep living here – it would be suspicious. So, he had a better idea.