CHAPTER 21 - New York 2012

2012: New York

Your feet pitter patter across the marble floor, your hand grazing over the sandstone features of the newly crafted shallow staircase. The sun at full and shining through the angular windows of the brand-new Stark Tower.

You sat down on the circular white leather couch, a discarded champagne bottle sitting half full on the glass coffee table – two tall crystal glasses shimmering elegantly. Curling your knees up to your chest, stubby fingers grasping at the soft skin – all alone, no one for comfort...not a single soul in sight.

Though down below a world of hell, flying monsters littering the smoky sky. Buildings crumbling to their foundations and distant screams of the fearful. Explosions thundering in the distance and the indescribable noise of the blackened nightmare above.

You had never been in a battle before, let alone one for the fate of the very Earth you stood on. Stark had been whizzed away by SHIELD and Pepper and Happy had flown to another state leaving you completely alone. No one knew it would end this way, if they did – you'd be long gone by now. But you were used to being left alone. Your father was always busy, and Pepper was rarely home as being appointed as CEO.

BOOM! CRASH! CRACK!

A normal ten year old would scream and cry but you were a silent as a mouse. Not daring for a single second to take your eyes off the action. It was like watching an action movie on the biggest cinema screen in the world – a front row seat to what could be the end. Though you were never sure if it was shock or just your obsession with marvelling at the unknown. Too much like your father for your own good. Speaking of which, your gaze followed the blur of red and gold armour as he dashed through your line of sight. He would have come back for you, but it was too late, there was no time to spare – it was you or the Earth.

Time ceases to exist, it seemed to stop moving forwards as you heard the ominous looming pacing behind you, a presence you couldn't even begin to describe. You could've frozen, you could've run, but instead, you turned to look behind you. The soft crunching of broken glass stopped as he stood over you. Slowly you pushed back from the couch and faced him. The green cape swirling just over the floor, his black hair slicked back and the disturbing grin on his face sneering down at you.

"Hello there." His British accent echoing through the room. The golden sceptre he held onto tightly glowed a brilliant blue, but you preferred the brilliant blue of the arc reactor that sat inside your dad's chest. "And who would you be?" He crouched down to your level, something about his movements and tone made chills run down your spine.

"You first." You began without hesitation. He frowned then chuckled.

"I'm Loki..." He starred up and down at you, trying to figure you out. "You must be Stark's child."

"You know who I am?" Your heart was pounding loudly in your ears but there was no way in hell you were backing down.

"There's a lot of things I know." He glanced out the window at the destruction below. "How about we play a little game." You crossed your arms as he stood up slowly.

"Why are you in my building?" You begin interrogating him completely unaware that you were arguing with the god of mischief. He completely ignores you as if you had never said anything. He looks back at you.

"Why don't you go, and play hide and seek..." You frowned at him. "For your father's sake." It was then you understood. Understood that he was the bad guy and that if you didn't hide and stay quiet somewhere else it would be over for your father. You wanted to scream back but you knew there was nothing you could do. So, instead, you glared at him before running across the room – the broken glass cutting into your bare feet – towards the nearest door to one of the bedrooms. You opened it quickly and shut it leaving a tiny gap to spy out of.