Scene 9 - Doubts

Connor's POV

___________________

DATE 

NOV 7TH, 2038

AM 01:19:05

____________________

Lieutenant Anderson and I had left the scene and started driving to I presume his house to begin with, but I was confused when he pulled over and stopped outside of what seemed to be a play area. Light snow had started falling since we came outside and the park was covered head to toe in it. Hank stepped out of the car and headed towards a bench on the far side of the park that showed the view of the Ambassador bridge along with the bright lights coming from the city on the other side. The rock music that was playing in the car was distracting me so I got out of the vehicle. I followed him out curiously and approached him, wondering why we stopped here. He sat down on the back of the bench and stared out onto the Detroit River, not taking notice of me.

The wind had blown a few snowflakes onto both of our clothes but Hank didn't seem too worried, since he just sat there and let them attach themselves to his grey hair and brown jacket.

"Nice view, huh?..." He said tiredly. It didn't sound like he was all that interested in it. "I used to come here a lot before..." He added but didn't finish the sentence. He took a swig of the bottle he was holding then lowered his arm again.

I looked at him worryingly. Firstly because of his drinking habit and the gun I found in his house and his hesitance to finish his sentence. "Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant?" I slowly crossed my arms. He stayed silent. 

"Why are you so determined to kill yourself?"

"Some things, I just can't forget... Whatever I do they're always there... Eating away at me..." I looked at him in concern.

"I don't have the guts to pull the trigger... So, I kill myself a little every day... That's probably difficult for you to understand, huh, Connor? Nothing very rational about it" He finished and took another drink. This was getting out of hand.

"Before what?" I asked him. He looked at me with confused. "You said 'I used to come here a lot before'. Before what?"

"Before..." He hesitated again. "Before nothin'..."

I frowned and slowly stepped forward towards the railing that separated the ground to the water. He wasn't going to tell me what happened, but I had a theory. I then recalled the events of all these investigations and I had a feeling of annoyance.

"We're not making any progress on this investigation... The deviants have nothing in common. They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places...". I turned to Hank for any sort of explanation as to why this could be happening. He looked up at me with the same exhausted expression. 

"Well there must be some link".

"What they all have in common is this obsession with rA9... It's almost like some kind of... myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original program... (Y/n) told me that the android living with her had the very same obsession. It must be something that can only be contracted by deviants, like a virus in some way. Like a belief".

"Androids believing in God... Fuck, what's this world coming to?"

"I just don't understand how the find case of deviancy would have occurred in the first place. And why...they always seem to get away". 

"They didn't get away...you let them go. Every opportunity you got, you chose to let them run". He stated suspiciously. I was taken aback by it, but wanted to know what he was referring to.