Scene 14 - Kamski's place

Your POV

We walked down the sidewalk and crossed the road to get to a park. Not a playground, but a sort of forest area with no big flashing lights and electric cars and all that other stuff. Connor looked confused as to why we were here, but hopefully he'll see why I wanted to go here.

We walked down the path and spotted a very small field on the grass where a man and his son were playing baseball together. I stopped walking and watched as the ball went soaring through the air and landed near the boy. They laughed and threw they ball back to each other with one of them hitting it with a bat. I remember when me and my dad used to play. He knew about all the famous players and watched the games in real life and what not, but I just liked seeing how far I could hit the ball and laugh if I accidently hit him. None of this 'android' stuff affected us. It was better back then.

Connor noticed what I was looking at and stared at the game in fascination. I watched as his eyes followed the ball, back and forth, back and forth. I smiled. "You ever played baseball before?" I asked him. He looked down at me and shook his head. 

"I've never had a reason to. But, the humans seem to be enjoying themselves".

I nodded and looked back at them. Maybe someday Connor will get the chance to play. 

I held onto his hand again and led him further down the path. This place was busier here but not by much. Only a few elderly people and their androids would pass by and sit on the benches. One instance, a man was pushing his little girl on a bike and Connor stopped to look at them. I saw that he was... smiling to himself. Maybe he saw something.

We kept walking until I saw what I was looking for. I pointed to the tiny vendor and Connor was confused at first, but shrugged and walked up to it. We ordered what we wanted, well technically I ordered what I wanted and Connor just said to get the same as me since he didn't see the difference between the choices, and we sat down on a wall around a small lake, dangling our legs off the edge.

He held the object in his hand and looked at it, then back at me. "So why did you want to get this?" He asked.

I giggled. "Do you even know what it is?"

He looked at it and his LED flashed yellow. The dang cheater scanned it. 

"Ice cream?" 

"Yes, and people get it because it tastes good, silly. It makes them feel happy".

He looked at his cone again and furrowed his eyebrows. "That seems illogical. Human happiness is mainly, if not entirely, measured by the emotional fulfillment in their lifetime. Whether it's from a job, a hobby, a social relationshi-" I didn't give him time to finish as I pushed my hand underneath his cone so it got on his nose and mouth. I laughed as he flinched when it touched him, but it didn't hurt him. It was only ice cream anyway. He finally tasted it, then a wide smile spread across his face. "I stand corrected".

I smiled and ate my ice cream as well. I think Connor is starting to get the hang of this human thing.

We both finished soon after and decided to walk around the park a little more. After that, we began heading back to the DPD. We were walking on the sidewalk in the city to get there, when a car driving from behind pulled up onto the curb, making us stop in our tracks. It was Hank's car.

He pulled down the window and stuck his head out to look at us. "Where have you two been?! I was looking all over the city for ya!"

"My apologies, Lieutenant. (Y/n) just wanted to get some air, away from the investigation. Speaking of which, do we have any other missions ahead of us?"