Chapter 2

five years later

"Lia, 215, is calling again. You better start answering him again or it's going to be your ear getting chewed out not mine." My supervisor said from her chair at the desk. I groaned taking a large gulp of my coffee, trying to finish it to the last drop, before tossing it in the trash. 

"he just wants me in there so he can stare at my boobs." I pointed out. "dirty old man."

Nancy, the older nurse and my supervisor, gave me a flat look. "He's dying, give him a little show for old times sake."

I laughed. "maybe I will." 

I smirked licking my lips and playing with the hem of my scrub shirt pulling it up so she could see the skin of my belly. She snorted waving her hand at me and going back to answering the phone. I dropped my shirt and walked down the hall to my intended door. I took a deep breath walking in and plastering a large smile on my face.

"hey doll." Mr. Evans smiled, resting his head on his pillow. "you think you can help me adjust my pillows?"

I gave him a smile and walked over to his bed and pulled him off the bed, holding him as gently as I could as I moved and fluffed his pillows so he could lay more comfortably. When I settled him back on the bed he smiled at me, a slight pinkness to his cheeks as he patted my hand that rested on his arm. 

"thank you dear."

"of course." I grinned giving him a squeeze before stepping back and checking all his vitals. "need anything else?"

"no no, I wont bother you no more. Thank you for being so kind to an ol' bastard like me." He chuckled. "mind steppin' back in before you go?"

"of course." I sighed, giving him a wink before walking back out and letting my hips swing as I did. The dirty old man probably got a kick out of it, and its the only action I've seen in months.

I rolled my neck in hand as I stumbled into the breakroom, finding an open couch for me to rest my eyes for a moment. I pulled my thick hair out of its tight pony tail shaking my head a few times before laying back and shutting my eyes. Letting sleep take over almost instantly.

Beeping tore me from my sleep instantly. I shuffled for my beeper, looking at the blank screen confused before I realized my phone was the one ringing. I groaned pulling my phone out of my pocket and pressing it to my ear.

"hullo?" I mumbled, rubbing my eyes viciously to wake up completely. 

"hey baby." My moms voice rang. "haven't heard from you, making sure you're still alive."

"alive and breathing." I mumbled "barely."

"you work so much. We miss you baby." She said sadly. "any chance you can come back? It's your nephews birthday this weekend."

I froze, racking my brain for an excuse. "can't my schedules already been printed."

"okay... maybe next month? It's the reunion." I squeezed my eyes shut and cursed as I knew I wasn't getting out of it this time.

"y-yeah mama, sure, I'll try and take off." I said, hoping that was enough hope to let her down gently in a few weeks. I couldn't come back, not yet.

"yay! You're daddy will be so glad to see you again, okay, I know you're working, I love you baby." She said with a soft voice.

"love you too." I said saying goodbye.

Getting back into my apartment I pushed the door behind me closed, locking it and checking twice before slumping over the couch and taking a deep breath. After three days straight of being at the hospital, it was long and hard and exhausting. But I loved it, and I wouldn't trade it for any other job in the world.

I peeled off the couch, pulling my scrub shirt off my body and walking into the kitchen, I rubbed my sore shoulders as I pulled open the fridge. I grabbed a container, opening it and smelling it hoping it wasn't too old to reheat. I shrugged to myself and plopped it into the microwave. I grabbed a beer from the fridge and popped off the lid.

As I was taking a sip, I could hear the front door bang and loud shouts came from the hallway. My beer dropped from my hands, shattering on the ground as I fell to the floor with it. My heart pounding wildly in my heart as I shook, watching the door with unblinking eyes. The door shook from the noise, people on the other side loud and threatening. I pushed myself into the cabinet door as tears poured down my face. I couldn't breathe, my mind going to a dark place as I waited until the noises subsided and I could finally bring myself to stand up.

I looked down at my hands, the shattered beer bottle on the floor, pieces of glass stung my hands as blood began to pool in my palms. My body chattered as I walked my way to the bathroom, grabbing my first aid kit and patching myself up. The glass stung on its way out, tiny pieces digging into my skin as I tried to pull them out with tweezers. Had my hands not shook wildly I would have been finished already.

Once I was done, I looked in the mirror, the small bit of make up still attached to my skin was blurred and did a terrible job at covering my tired eyes. I began crying all over again. I hated who I had become, a scared and timid woman. I couldn't sleep in my own home without waking up with every creak and moan I heard from outside. I didn't feel safe, ever. How could I?

I picked up my phone, clicking on my contacts and calling the person who could help me. The only person who knew.

"Lia! Whats up babes?" She chirped.

"Cal, I need to come home. I-I can't take it anymore." I cried, my bottom lip trembled. 

"shit- okay have you called your daddy?" She said.

"I'll talk to him about moving when I'm there, I'm going to come for the reunion."

"are you going to tell him?" She said quietly. 

"no," I snapped. Shaking my head quickly. "he can't know. No one needs to know, Cal."

"okay... I just think it'd be better if-"

"no! They can't know." I yelled, my body vibrated with the fear. I couldn't breath, shit.

"hey! It's okay, baby, I'm here for you." She cooed into the phone. "I'll get my brothers truck that weekend and we'll move your stuff, sound good?"

"y-yeah, thank you." I whispered into the phone. We said our goodbyes and the phone call ended.

I looked back into the mirror. Rubbing the make up away with my towel, washing it away with cold water. When I looked up my face was clearer, brighter and I sighed. I was going home, and the sense of security I always had there grew over me.

I was going home. 

thank you guys for reading! I hope you enjoyed this shorter chapter! leave a like and a comment and tell me what you think!