chapter 8

The awkward tension couldn't have been thicker between Viper and I. We sat at a booth at the local diner, hoping the other would say something to break the tension. All I could think to say was 'why me?'. Why didn't he move on when I left, it wasn't like I showed any sign of coming back, he could have moved on.

I didn't know too much about Vipers past, his father was an Enforcer for the club before he retired the patch after his arthritis got too bad to ride. He wasn't a horrible man, but he wasn't warm either. He was quiet much like Viper was, but he loved his wife dearly. I wondered if that was part of the reasoning behind him choosing to claim me.

Much like my parents, both Vipers parents are madly in love with each other, and fiercely loyal to each other. They loved the club just as much and were always there to offer assistance anyway they could. I know they raised Viper with the same values. Was he only claiming me because of the club?

"this... isn't going the way I wanted." Viper spoke up, scratching the side of his head as he looked at me.

"me either." I admitted, we had been sitting here for half an hour looking over the menu but never deciding on what we wanted. The waitress had given up coming over and I assume was just waiting for us to call her back when we were ready. "look... Viper it's not that I don't like you it's just- do you really think we'd work well together?"

"we could." He leaned forward. "I think."

"Viper, there are things I'm dealing with, things that I don't think you'll ever fully understand-"

"and Sleeper does?" He gritted out, he leaned back, arms going into their usual position across his chest.

"yes." I said simply.

His expression softened, and he nodded. "I've never been great with this stuff."

"I've seen you with the club girls." I pointed out.

"you've seen me tell a girl I'm fucking her." He countered. "I don't do relationships, I just always saw how princess and Reaper are and I just..."

"you thought it would be that easy." I finished for him. He looked up at me with a helpless look. He wasn't use to being rejected, and the first time he ever wanted a relationship with someone he's told no. "I'm sorry, I really am, but you need someone who can jump in, and I'm not that person."

He nodded, going quiet for a few moments. 

"I'm sorry for pushing."

I shook my head. "it's not like I've been open and honest about it."

"look, your parents are worried about you, it's why they were pushing you to accept me. They figured you needed someone who was sturdy to be there for you."

"what do you mean?" I frowned.

He sighed, scratching his head before leaning in. "Sleepers my brother, and I'd normally never say anything against him, but he's got some issues, when Lucifer picked him up, he wasn't doin' good. fights, parties, girls you name it, Lucifer figured he could be a good enforcer one day but he had to knock some sense into him first. He's been known to be a flight risk, when things get tough he bolts finds any reason to leave and goes."

"where does he go?"

Viper shrugs. "sometimes he'll pick up a job for Prez and sometimes he just leaves with no trace."

"and you think that he'll do that with me?"

Viper looked anywhere but me, and with a shrug he said, "maybe."