an interview with @denareez

Welcome to an interview with the lovely denareez

Welcome to an interview with the lovely denareez. What may I call you?

It's Ida :)

Nice to meet you, Ida! So, what got you interested in writing superhero fiction?

Well, I watch a lot of MARVEL and DC movies and animated films. I spotted a few unique patterns to superheroes films and comics and I find them fascinating to write about. I mean who doesn't like the idea of having a secret super power? XD There's a charm to it. I already have an eternal love for the similar genre, urban fantasy, so superhero fiction is definitely very fun for me to write. You could write about a protagonist having a relaxing mundane day in a bustling city, going to the grocery shopping or doing laundry at the laundromat and spice these dull routines up by tying in super powers. I think the idea of the storyline being so relatable yet imagination based is what drew me in most.

You're right, this genre certainly has an attractive charm! I'm curious, who is your favorite superhero?

Spiderman, of course! It's also the very first movie I've watched in my life. He's very relatable.

I must know, are you referring to the original trilogy?

The original one was the first movie in my life, yes. But I love every version of it. The original is so iconic and the second version was very entertaining and fresh while the latest version is just adorable. I'm Thai and I really appreciate the Thai restaurant scene. "Larb" it. The overall vibe of this superhero is what inspired my book.

Spiderman is truly iconic. Have you watched the Into The Spider-Verse movie, by any chance?

Yep! I love drawing and that movie really inspired me a lot. It's a new style of animation that broke the rules but it's truly a masterpiece.

That movie was amazing. So, let's talk about your book, Superhero Crash Course. What was the inspiration behind it?

I think it's probably the idea that everyone has their secret life. I have been fascinated by this idea since I've read "Little Princess" by Frances Burnett. It's about a girl who fantasizes about being a princess so she could act like one toward all kind of negative people thrown in her life. I didn't really believe it was possible at first but, when middle school rolled around, I realized this method works. Well, it wasn't a princess for me though, I was an astronaut. For this book, I chose superhero because I've read a lot of comics and a lot of people could relate to them since, unlike princesses, they are not always graceful and perfect but, at the end of the day, they save lives. Also, there's this fascinating vibe about origin of a superhero that makes me want to write about one myself.

Oh my goodness, I adored that book! I see what you mean, superhero origins are very intriguing. What do you hope readers will enjoy about Superhero Crash Course? Any themes you're trying to show, any reaction you're trying to get?

I hope that readers will find my book reasonable yet not boring. I try to connect everything down to little details and leaving Easter Eggs here and there. I hope that when big revelations happen, my readers will be able to go "oh, so that's why this happened earlier!

Ah, yes. We all love Easter Eggs. I'm sure your book is top-notch reasonable and absolutely not-boring. We'll be wrapping up just about now; is there anything you'd like to say to the followers of Project Super?

Thanks for reading this interview! For readers, hope you enjoy my book and, for writers out there, hope my book could inspire you some way somehow :)

Thank you, Ida, for being a wonderful interviewee, and I wish you the best of luck! All right, readers, make sure to check out denareez, and until next time, stay super!