an interview with @left_andwrite

Hello and welcome to an interview with the wonderful  left_andwrite

Hello and welcome to an interview with the wonderful left_andwrite. What may I call you?

Thank you! You can call me Lena.

Hello, Lena! Let's begin: what got you interested in superheroes and superhero fiction?

I don't remember which movie exactly, but I watched some superhero film or other a few years ago and it inspired me a lot. I loved all the flashy action scenes, and since I love writing fight scenes, I thought it'd be even more fun with superpowers in the mix (and it is!). Plus, there's so many interesting issues that can be explored with the superhero genre. Things like the science behind superpowers, the drawbacks of having superpowers, what makes a supervillain, how that kind of power would make people act, etc. Also, I really wanted to write from the perspective of a supervillain.

Who would you say is your favorite superhero (or supervillain)?

Definitely Wonder Woman. She's an inspiration to me!

I agree, she's awesome! Let's talk about your book, Secret Super. Can you tell us a little about what it's about?

Sure! Secret Super follows the adventures of two girls who become unlikely friends when they join a mysterious supervillain organization. It's set on a city-planet that's dying from pollution, where superheroes act as law enforcement.

Zadia, a girl who's always hidden her superpowers and desperately wants to end pollution, and Kara, a superhero-in-training seeking adventure, join a secretive organization that goes against the institution of superheroes. Led by a charismatic supervillain, the organization aims to end pollution, a problem that the superheroes refuse to handle.

As their missions get deadlier and superheroes keep disappearing, Zadia and Kara uncover more and more sinister secrets about the world they live in and have to decide who to trust.

I really like the flipped script--it's the villains aiming to help the world, and a superhero-in-training chooses to join them, that's very interesting! What's the inspiration behind it?

Thanks! I wanted to write a superhero story without the traditional black-and-white morality. I can't point to one specific source of inspiration, though, because I'm very much a pantser, so ideas come to me as I'm writing.

Is it a standalone, or are you planning a series?

So far, it's a standalone. I may return to the same storyworld some day, but I think it would be from the perspective of different characters.

Do you have any other projects in the works, or anything else about you you'd like to share with us? A piece of advice for other writers?

Yes, I have a few projects I'll be publishing after Secret Super; I write mainly action-heavy fantasy and sci-fi stories. As for advice for other writers, I'd say to stick with your story even when you lose inspiration, be open to feedback, and let your characters drive the story.

Lena, thank you so much for being a wonderful interviewee! I wish you the best of luck in your projects :)

Thank you, and thanks for the interview! :)

Be sure to check out left_andwrite's Secret Super, and stay super yourselves!