Chapter 11: Woman

The squad was hanging out on the lawn outside the library, sitting cross-legged on the grass beneath one of the big trees. It wasn't that cold yet so a lot of students were taking advantage of the fall season before winter started in December.

"Any progress with your cousin?" Jamaica asked Madeline.

The latter groaned, rubbing her forehead. "Ugh, he wants me to go to New York and propose to him – in person – why donating would be a good move for him."

"It's for charity," I said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"To Peter, even donating is an investment."

"Wow, your cousin is a cheapskate." Jamaica laughed. "How old is he, anyway?"

Madeline shrugged. "In his mid-twenties?"

We all stared at her, dumbstruck. This was the same man she raved on and on about owning multiple chains of hotels, restaurants, and different kinds of businesses imaginable? He was not even thirty yet?

"He's a really good businessman," was her only reply, after seeing our faces.

Jamaica's phone suddenly vibrated, and she let out a loud cry when she read the message. "They're starting to piss me off," she said, through gritted teeth.

"What's wrong?" asked Lilian, alarmed.

"Pledges from Zeta Theta are messing with us." Then, she exclaimed, "Three of our pledges quit!"

My eyebrows raised. Whoa.

Madeline sighed and leaned her head back on the tree trunk. "It's started."

The three of us looked at her.

"What started?" I asked.

Madeline took a deep breath, before explaining, "Every year, pledges from Zeta Theta receive something like a mission to make as many sorority pledges quit. Bonus points if the girls are from KPK."

Jamaica made a disgusted face. "They make it into a sport?"

"Yup," confirmed Madeline, nodding.

I scoffed. "What do they get out of it?"

She just shrugged. "Brownie points, I guess. I heard five girls who get the lowest numbers get kicked out."

"That's not fair," protested Jamaica, outraged.

I snorted. "When has life been fair?" I muttered under my breath.

"Aren't we going to do something?" demanded Jamaica, crossing her arms.

"Why?" I sighed, already bored talking about the Zits.

"Because they can't keep getting away with this unscathed!"

"Doing something will only attract their attention to us."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Never took you for a wuss."

I rolled my eyes at that. Yeah, because wanting to avoid unnecessary fucking drama made me a coward.

Madeline shook her head. "She's not a wuss. She just doesn't care."

I tilted my head and smiled close-lipped at Jamaica.

She pouted and mumbled, "But they're our sorority sisters."

"Not if they quit," I said, shaking my head.

I wasn't willing to call them my sisters if they were willing to let some skanks force them into quitting just like that. Where were their fucking back bones?