Chapter 25: Head Over Feet

I gave them my middle finger.

Kurt laughed out loud through the screen, clutching his stomach. He was in his dorm room in Alabama, while we were video calling with the rest of the crew.

Oz nodded to me and said, "Let's celebrate your birthday when we're back for Thanksgiving break."

"We don't have to," I replied, shaking my head.

"Doesn't feel right to break tradition."

I looked at him. "Dude, we're in college now. It's cool."

"Nah, Oz is right," piped up Alfie, setting down his gatorade between him and Oz. "Let's throw a party."

I sighed, getting sick of parties. "I'm good with just having dinner at the diner with you shitheads."

Frisco had a knowing smile on his face, and I flashed him a questioning look.

"Just dinner?" asked Kurt, clearly not on board.

"Boo!" chanted Alfie, with his thumbs down. "Laaame!"

Oz studied my face. "I'm still throwing a party that weekend, anyway."

I rolled my eyes. "You just wanted to use my birthday as an excuse."

Oz smirked at that. "I don't need an excuse."

Hmm, touché.

"Hey, Con," leered Kurt. "You break any balls yet?"

"You mean hearts?" teased Frisco, clearly amused.

I wanted to choke him to keep him quiet, and I caught Alfie's face darken.

"Nah." Kurt shook his head, as oblivious as ever. "I meant balls."

"If you're here, yours will be the first one," I told him with a sweet smile.

But it wasn't exactly true because elevator perv got the feel of my kick between his legs last Halloween.

"Damn," laughed Kurt. "I missed your feisty ass."

There was a knock on the door, making me glance up. It wasn't completely closed so I didn't have to get up and let the person in.

"Come in!" I yelled instead.

Scout walked in. "Hey, you r—"

I straightened up and quickly said, "Sorry, Madeline's not here."

Scout's eyes widened, looking from the laptop propped on my lap then to me. He raised his hands. "Sorry!" he mouthed, closing the door behind him.

"Who was that?" asked Kurt.

"My roommate's boyfriend," I answered smoothly.

Scout raised his eyebrow at me.

"His voice sounds familiar," remarked Oz, frowning.

Alfie's eyes narrowed at me, seeing right through me.

Frisco, on the other hand, tried to cover up his snickers by grabbing the bag of chips on his desktop and starting to munch on them.

"Can we wrap this up?" I asked them. "I'm going somewhere."

Scout was taking me to Cali's Point today.

For a second, I seriously thought Alfie was going to flip but then he leaned back and sneered. "What, you got a date or something?" He was baiting me.

"And that's your business, how?"

Kurt laughed. "Oh, burn!"

"Don't get all defensive, babe." Alfie smirked, his eyes flashing dangerously. "I'm just asking." He laughed for good measure, but I knew it was an act. "Man, that practice got me hella hungry. Yo, Oz – you in the mood for some gingerbread?"