Chapter 15: All Loved Up

I snorted.

Clearing my throat, I pressed my lips together to stop myself from laughing out loud because I wasn't supposed to be texting right now. But I couldn't help myself.

It was fun talking to this Golden Boy.

Scout:
I wish I could see you right now

Connie:
Clingy already?

Scout:
Lol isn't that you?

Connie:
Please. I'm irresistible.

Scout:
Who picked who to date again?

A small laugh escaped me, earning me a few looks from those standing nearby. When I felt someone sidle up next to me, I glanced up. Ah, it was Jamaica. She nodded to my phone and gave me a rue smile.

"Ooh, who's that you're texting that you have such a pretty smile on your face?" She winked. It was her thing. "Can I guess?"

I forced to keep my expression neutral, which caused her to burst out laughing. I didn't want to admit that I've resorted to this, texting Scout in the middle of a social event that I was supposed to be engaging in. I could just say I was bored, but she and I both knew that wasn't the truth.

"Cons," started Jamaica, looking like she was about to piss herself from giggling too much, "there's nothing wrong with being giddy when you're dating a hot guy like Scout."

Facing her, I smirked and turned the table around. "There's nothing wrong with admitting you like preppy prick either."

She scoffed. Busted.

"I don't like him."

Yeah, right. "Uh-huh."

"I don't," she repeated, with her chin up.

"Right, so I'm just imagining all that sexual tension between you whenever you guys are in the same room, then?"

She could deny it, but too many times had I caught her sneak discreet looks at Brody when she thought nobody was paying attention. He, on the other hand, didn't bother hiding his long gazes, looking like Cupid struck him good and hard. No worries about him being in denial unlike my dear friend here.

A deep sigh escaped Jamaica's lips. "I... admit that I may be attracted to him," she said slowly, as if it was eating her inside to admit it out loud. Then, she quickly added, "But it's all very physical."

"In other words, you wanna bone him."

Her eyes squeezed shut, before her hands reached up to cover her face. I burst out laughing. I loved calling people out.

"Have you acted on it?" I wondered aloud.

"No." She put down her hands and shook her head, looking at the sea of people in the room. "I don't plan on being an additional name to his list of college conquests."

"Dude, you're overthinking this shit," I told her. It was only a hookup. What was the big deal? "Just let go and have fun."

"I will," she said, back to her confident self again. "As soon as I find a cute guy to flirt with tonight." She wiggled her eyebrows and gave me a flirty smile, before walking off to find her prey.

I watched as every guy she passed by turn their heads in her direction. I let out a small laugh, inwardly proud to call her my friend – not because she was stunning but because beneath all that bravado was a softie. And I could relate to that shit.