Chapter 14: Here Is Gone

Could this day get any fucking worse?

"You have got to be kidding me," growled Madeline.

"Did you use my card?" I asked.

She let out a frustrated breath. "Yes, but this damn thing still won't open!"

"We have to call the front desk." I sighed, trying not to show my irritation. Madeline was pissed enough for the both of us.

She pulled out her phone and started dialing.

"Do you think this is a sign that we shouldn't be roommates?" I joked, trying to keep things light because if I didn't, I might lose my fucking mind.

Stupid philosophy and all its stupid theories.

Ugh, not gonna think about it.

Last week, Madeline and I talked to our assigned roommates and made a deal with them to switch rooms. It surprised us how they didn't put up much of a fight.

Although, I bet my former roommate hated my guts and just grabbed the first opportunity to get away from me. We didn't run it by the admin. We doubted there would be a problem – at least, I hoped there wouldn't be.

"But we already checked, our RA is out."

Leaning against the wall, I watched Madeline pace back and forth in front of me while she was on the phone.

"Please," she begged. "Is there no other way? We're literally in our towels."

I looked down, wishing I had a robe.

"I understand," she paused, shoulders slumping in dismay. "Thank you."

"What did they say?"

"We have to go to the reception downstairs to get the key. They're short on staff so the girl who spoke to me can't leave the front desk unattended."

"Can't we ask someone to get it for us?"

She sighed. "No, security reasons."

I bit my lip, thinking. This would've been easier if Jamaica and Lilian lived on the same building. But they didn't.

I looked up and down the hallway. It was deserted because it was game day. We were the only ones here.

Letting out a deep breath, I said, "Since my name is listed on the dorm room, I have to be the one to get it."

"Bitch, I'm not letting you go down there on your own," she argued, looking at me as if I was crazy.

"Well, we better go and get the key right now 'cause we're gonna be late for the game. Scout's gonna be here any minute."

"Uh, think again. He's already here." With that, she nodded to something behind me. "Hey, Red."

My head whipped around and I came face to face with Scout. He looked fresh out of the shower, like me – only he had proper clothes on and I was still in my damn towel.

"You're early," I remarked.

He glanced at his wristwatch. "Nah, arrived just in time." When he raised his head, our eyes met. "What's going on?"

It was Madeline who answered first.

"We're in a teeny tiny bit of a situation here."

"We got locked out of our dorm room," I informed him, gesturing a hand to our door. "Our cards won't work."

Madeline demonstrated for Scout's benefit. It didn't even beep.

"We're just about to go to the front desk to get our key," I added.