Chapter 17: River (Past)

A year ago
Mount Valley

I watched Parker, my boyfriend – now fucking ex-boyfriend – suck faces with another girl on the sofa, his chocolate brown hands roaming down her body until they disappeared under her dress.

I tried to see if I was hurt. He was my first boyfriend, after all. I should even feel sick and disgusted at the sight I was seeing right now. But all I could feel was the hit to my fucking ego. The dick made a fool out of me.

The kicker? It was my birthday.

I could go over there and drag the bitch's hair before breaking his horny balls, but I didn't want to ruin my night. They were not worth the drama.

Deciding I was gonna get wasted as fuck in this party thrown for me by the crew, I headed to the kitchen. I was almost there when I ran into my manwhore best friend, Alfie. I couldn't blame him. Being a talented quarterback gave him easy access to as much pussy as he wanted. It helped that he was good-looking too, with his dark hair and panty-dropping smile.

When he saw my face, his expression instantly grew serious. I was about to go around him but he caught my arm to stop me.

"Hey, what's up?"

I looked away. I wasn't in the mood for his shit. If he kept pushing me, I might punch his gorgeous face.

"What'd he do?"

My eyes snapped up to his. He wasn't gonna let this go, was he? I hated how he immediately knew what my problem was by just looking at my face.

"It's my problem," I said firmly, pulling my arm away from his grip.

I continued walking but he grabbed my waist to hold me still.

"What the fuck did he do, Connie?" he growled.

"Just mind your own fucking business."

He ignored me. "Did he hurt you?" he demanded, eyeing me from head to toe.

"No!" I snapped. "God, stop it with the third degree!"

"Then, tell me what the fucker did!"

"I can take care of myself! Don't treat me like a child!"

"I will if you stop acting like one!"

I scoffed, pulling back. "Oh, that's just fucking rich."

Before I knew it, he had me backed me up against the wall, caging me in. He placed his fist on the space beside my head and leaned down closer to me. He looked ready to murder someone.

"What did he do?" he asked, through gritted teeth. "I won't ask again."

I knew he was serious. I also knew that he wouldn't give. He was as unbreakable as Captain America's shield when it came to his stubbornness.

"Alright, fine," I breathed out, giving up. "I saw him practically fingering a bang bunny in the living room. They're probably fucking right about now."

Anger glazed over Alfie's dark green eyes. His jaw clenched, and I caught his arms flexing as if he was pushing his fist into the wall.

"That motherfucking son of a bitch."

Oh, shit. I knew where this was going.

"You know what, I don't even care," I said, trying to cool him down. "He can go sleep his way to the city if he wants."

He glared at me. "Why the fuck shouldn't you care? He swiped your goddamn V-card. He should –"

"Hold up, what?" I asked incredulously. "No, he didn't."