Chapter 1: The Run In

REVISED: 19 January 2020

1. The Run In

-;-

Once upon a time, when the ray of morning light came through the small window of her bedroom, Misao blinked and mumbled her annoyance. Not that she disliked the sun; she just hated her place in life.

She was an orphaned child, a servant, but hadn't always been. She was born from ninja parents who died fighting in Northern Kyoto when she was only two weeks old. According to her paternal grandfather Okina, they were the bravest ninjas that served Imperial Japan. He always told Misao in her bedtime stories that her parents shed blood for their beloved country - because one of the things that will make them happy was to see her grow up in a land of peace.

Okina, who was the head of the ninja clan called "Oniwabanshuu," was known to be a robust leader but was weak when it comes to women. His first wife, who was a skilled kunoichi, died in the war with Misao's parents. Okina found it very difficult to accept the tragic loss of his family members, which made him decided to remarry. Two years later, he tied the knot with the most beautiful geisha in Gion, whose name is Komagata Yumi.

Okina was the only living relative of the young Misao until one fateful night, he died due to incurable illness. Misao could not even believe it because Okina was very fit and healthy despite his old age.

The sudden death of Misao's grandfather revealed that Yumi had a real husband whose name is Makoto Shishio and a younger sister, Kamatari.

Before her grandfather was even cold in the grave, they had sold all her belongings. Even Okina's inn that was called 'Aoiya,' was not an exception to their greediness.

"I wonder what I shall do with you, hmmm..." Shishio murmured as he touched Misao's cheek, "throw you up in the street or work here? CHOOSE!" She had chosen the street but one freezing night in December forced her back to her home again.

That was a few years ago, and Misao was now in her mid-sixteen. Not that everyone cared about it anyway; she was glad to know that soon enough, she will pass the age of marriage and leave this place forever. That is if some decent man would be interested in a servant girl like her.

Sitting up, she brushed her hair and braided the rest of it. She went to the kitchen and began the work she always did every day. The warmth from the fire warmed her shivering body as she set the water to boil and began to prepare breakfast for the household.

She sighed and shook her head. She had now three meals balanced carefully on one tray. At the first door, she paused to tap it lightly and gently slid the shoji door open.

"Come in!" said by a woman, and Misao entered into her foster parents' room.

"Oh, Misao-chan..." Yumi said as she quickly covered her body with a blanket and fixed her disheveled hair.

"How very gracious of you to come so promptly," Shishio said in a deep voice as he pulled away from the naked woman on his futon. The words did not ring true, and he offered her a false smile. Misao could not help not to glare at them.

"Oh, you have some piercing eyes, dear!" Yumi added as Misao put their meals on the table, but Shishio quickly grabbed her wrist. The grip was so tight, and it almost made her cry.

"Misao-chan, my angel..." he said as Misao gave him a disdain look, "If you value your life, you must know how to behave properly."

She swallowed and pulled her hand free, stepping back while trying not to lose her calm composure. The silence was her only defense as she had discovered that under Shishio's thumb - speaking only made him angry!