Chap 1 - Six Feet Under

CHAPTER ONE

Our love is six feet under
I can't help but wonder
If our grave was watered by the rain
Would roses bloom?
Could roses bloom
Again?

×××

I stared at the wedding gown in awe, knowing right away that it was meant to be found by me. I had been looking for something as perfect as it since the morning without much success. But as soon as my eyes fell on this one, I don't know how, but I just knew.

My phone started vibrating in my jeans pocket, making me grunt in annoyance. It was Gabrielle, ofcourse.

"Flora, where are you? Could you hurry down to my office? It's urgent."

"I've come wedding shopping. It'll take me atleast twenty minutes to reach."

I could hear the sound of things being knocked and I could already picture Gabrielle shuffling through her desk in haste. She was an organised woman who was usually very calm so it was quite apparent to me that something had gone really wrong for her to sound so panicked.

"Alright, I'll see you then."

I quickly clicked a picture of the gown before leaving. Sitting in the cab, I thought back to the time when I first met Gabrielle nine months ago and how she had been like a mother to me ever since. I had ought to never get attached to someone ever again, especially after everything that had happened last year, but she still managed to find a way in my heart with her understanding, motherly nature.

When I entered her office, she heaved a sigh of relief from behind the files and documents that always seemed to cover her desk. "Finally."

"What's the matter?"

"Sandra's mother was in a car accident." Gabrielle informed. "She is alright now, not too hurt, but Sandra is going to stay with her in Utah until she is completely fine."

"I'm sorry to hear that." I said patiently.

"She was working on this wedding, a big one in Paris. It's just two months away now." Gabrielle said in distress. "I need you to take over right away. The client is big, we have to ensure it's planned perfectly. There is a lot that has to be done."

I had been working as a wedding planner in the company ‘Eleanor Events’ for nine months now. I had moved to Italy to work here, but we organised weddings all over Europe so I was always travelling.

Being an event planner was something I always dreamt of, but I never thought I'd actually become one. It wasn't because I doubted myself, but because I had been leading a very different life before everything changed eleven months ago.

It still made me scoff thinking about how I went into that day, expecting my entire life to change completely, but never in the way it did. How I felt so prepared right before something that I was completely unprepared for hit me. It still made my eyes stint with angry tears when I thought about the person I hated the most in the world—Evan Carter.

"Send me all the necessary files and documents." I said to Gabrielle. "I'll get at it right away. I won't disappoint you."

I had left my past buried six feet under almost a year ago and I never planned to dig it out. In very less time, I had managed to impress Gabrielle, my boss, and my work had become the most important aspect of my life.

"I know you won't." Gabrielle smiled. "The bride-to-be is going to be here in about an hour to discuss the details and how this is arrangement is going to work. She was disappointment when she learnt about Sandra leaving, but I'm hoping you would be able to put her mind to ease. I know you don't have much time to process all the information, especially it being a big destination wedding but—"

I cut off Gabrielle gently, seeing how she was about to start ranting, something she always did under a lot of  stress. "I'll manage, Gabrielle, calm down. Don't be so stressed, I've got this."

"You've been working continuously, I'm sorry if I'm putting too much pressure on you."

I smiled and shook my head so as to motion that I did not mind working extra hard at all. No matter what job I did, I tried to give it my best and although it might not seem like it, but for me my work had always been about something more than just money.

It's funny how I started conning to forget my past and how I've stopped to forget my past yet again.

$~*~*~*~$

I took a sip from my coffee, sitting across Emily, the beautiful bride-to-be who kept twirling her perfectly curled blonde hair as we discussed about her wedding.

Most of the bookings had already been made earlier this year, but there were still some important details and ofcourse the execution of the whole wedding that I had to focus on. It was not a small task as it was a week long wedding with many events, but I had planned a few Paris weddings before so I was confident that I would be able to manage it.

"I think it's important you talk to my fiance once as well and furnish him with the details." Emily said after our discussion. "I like how it appears on paper. I just want the execution to go perfectly as well."

"I assure you it will." I smile politely.

"Thank you, it was nice meeting you, Flora." she said, getting up and shaking my hand. She picked up her purse, noticing the vibration coming from it. She cursed under her breath before saying, "I suppose my fiance is here to pick me up. He would've come with me, but had an urgent meeting to attend."

"Alright, I'll come meet him once." I said. "You proceed, I'll meet you at the gate. Just need to keep these files properly first."

When I reached the gate, Emily was nowhere to be seen. I reached my jeans pocket to grab my phone and call her, but realised that I had forgotten it on my desk. I looked around once again and then turned, ready to head back into the office building.

The sound of shoes approaching made me stop. I turned around, hoping to greet Emily's fiance, but instead saw  the person whose memories had comforted and tortured me for almost a year now.

His sight made my face turn pale and my gut wrench. Evan seemed as shocked as me as his dark eyes penetrated mine, his jaw immediately tightening. My heart was beating louder than ever and all the emotions that I had tried to suppress for so long came rushing back to me.

Everything from his proposal to his betrayal, from the questions I wanted to ask but couldn't to all the answers I weaved myself, from love to hatred; all of it made my head throb and I felt panic rise up my chest.

His expression turned ice cold and I tried to match it, but I couldn't stop the trembling I felt inside. It made my stomach churn on thinking why he was here and I was filled with dread.

Evan was Emily's fiance?

××××××××

It's been so long! But I have no intentions of making you wait anymore! What do you guys think? I hope you all loved it!

Vote, comment, share! Don't forget to add it to your reading list and library to get a notification when I update. Spread the word and please do recommend Perfect Target and it's sequel to others if you've enjoyed reading! Follow me on Wattpad and on Instagram for news and sneak peeks!

PS: I know there are a lot of unanswered questions, but all will be revealed.

Faith