Chapter 11 - Not A Stranger

CHAPTER ELEVEN

I'm not a stranger
No I am yours
With crippled anger
And tears that still drip sore

A fragile frame aged
With misery
And when our eyes meet
I know you see

I do not want to be afraid
I do not want to die inside just to breathe in
I'm tired of feeling so numb
Relief exists I find it when
I am cut

××××

"I saw you put that pill in my drink."

My eyes widened and my breath got caught up in my throat. Everything in front of my eyes became a blur as I tried desperately to calm myself down, but with little success. I opened my mouth to say something, anything that would convince Evan that I was telling the truth, but I couldn't speak.

I grabbed his arm almost frantically. "This is all a misunderstanding, I swear. Yes, I did put the pill in your drink, but I regretted it right after. I was going to—"

"You were going to what?" Evan raised his voice, yanking his arm out of my grip. I flinched slightly, but held my ground.

"Listen to me, please. I swear I was going to—"

"You know I thought after what happened you would have some shame, but you're still just a lying, manipulative thieve who would go to any lengths to get what she wants." he spat out, his words laced with poison.

"You're crossing the line, Evan." I mumbled, pleading with him through my eyes. I was angry, I was hurt and I was godamn frustrated. Things had become so messy, I didn't know how to sort them. I didn't even know if I wanted to sort them. Or if I could.

He took a step closer to me. "The line had been crossed a long time ago, Flora."

He then turned around abruptly and starting walking towards his desk. He took out something from a bag, but I couldn't see what as he was blocking the view.

"What are you doing?" I asked, but he just ignored me.

"Evan—"

He turned around with a cheque in his hand. I swallowed hard as he took slow, almost mocking steps towards me. He extended his hand to me while I just stared at him blankly, silently daring him to do what he was about to.

"Here." he demanded. "Take it."

"What's the meaning of this?" I asked, anger evident in my voice.

"I'm making it easy for you. It's a blank cheque. Enter any amount you want and spare us both the trouble."

"Evan—"

"I know this is not how you usually do it, but let's save the manipulation and deceit for the next con, yes? Make it a nice one."

"Evan, you're—"

"Just take it and make most of the opportunity. Like a true thieve. It's who you are, ri—"

"That's enough!" I raised my hand to slap him across the face, but he surprised me when he grabbed my wrist mid way. His face grew icy cold with fury seething out of him as glared at me with deadly eyes.

"Not again." he whispered slow and dangerously, making a chill run down my spine. I pulled my hand out of his grip, keeping my expression steady. I snatched the cheque from his other hand and tore it into pieces right in front of his eyes.

"You wanted to humiliate me, congratulations, you've done just that. You don't want to believe or even listen to me, that's fine too. But it does not change my truth and I will not let you tell me otherwise." I said firmly. "As for the cheque, you can give me the pending amount after your cousin's wedding, that is, in case you're the one paying for it."

I turned around and started walking towards the door. I was just about to open it when I heard Evan speak.

"I want to."

I turned my head slightly to look at him.

"I want to believe you. I really do." he whispered slowly, painfully. "But I have to not believe you. You've hurt me a lot, Scarlett."

We stared at each other for a moment until I turned around and broke our eye contact, unable to take it anymore. I dug my nails into my fist painfully and gulped hard before opening the door and shutting it behind me.

××

It's been two whole days since I last talked to Evan. Our paths have crossed multiple times, but I've been avoiding him like plague. That, and also I've been quite busy with all the whole wedding thing to really focus on anything else.

Who was I kidding? Even with tons of things to do, my mind couldn't stop swaying towards Evan. Even my thoughts were mocking me now, almost daring me to try and stop them from landing on Evan. He just wouldn't leave my mind and I was convinced that I was going crazy.

I didn't know what I felt. Anger, frustration,  pain, guilt and maybe a little bit of longing were all having a goddamn party in my heart and I was left to prepare myself to clean up the mess they were about to leave behind.

I watched Emily giggle drunkenly as she was pulled up on the stage by the male strippers. I felt happy for her, but the loud music and the cheers were making my head pound. We were at her Bachelorette party and judging by the looks of it, the party wasn't going to end any time soon.

Sighing, I turned to the bar, knowing very well I would regret this later. My thoughts and emotions had become so tangled that I had absolutely no strength to sort the mess. So, like a mature, rational adult, I decided to drink. And drink. And drink.

×××

I stumbled into the hotel lobby, groaning in pain. My heels were killing me like crazy so I ended up practically yanking them off my feet.

I felt horrible. I just wanted to pack my bags and bolt. But then again the only people that look good spreeing a wedding are the bride or the groom, so I decided to stop being a coward and face my emotions heads on.

I banged on his door continuously, knowing very well it would annoy him. I giggled at the thought. It seemed like hours had passed by the time he got to the door, I just wanted to see him so bad.

His angry face turned into a confused one as he looked at me up and down.

"Stop checking me out so shamelessly!" I smirked with a sly look on my face.

His eyes widened then he gritted his teeth, looking pissed. "Did you drink again? How many times have I told you—"

I didn't let him finish as I cut him off by pressing my lips against his. There were many things in life that I regret, but as I soaked in the feeling of his soft, sweet lips against mine, I knew he was and would always be my best mistake that I would keep committing over and over again.

____

What do you think is going to happen next? I would love to hear some crazy theories!

Some people told me they do not remember Flora putting a pill in Evan's drink. You can go through Perfect Target's last chapter once, the scene is there in it. I hope that will clear any confusion you guys have.

Faith