Chapter 4 - Breakin' Me

CHAPTER FOUR

Tell me there's a river I can swim that will bring you back to me
'Cause I don't know how to love someone else
I don't know how to forget your face
No, love
God, I miss you every single day and now you're so far away

So far away

It's breakin' me, losin' you
We were far from perfect
But we were worth it
Too many fights, and we cried
But never said we're sorry
Stop sayin' you love me

×××××

I frowned at the earring that slipped from my hand and broke into two pieces. I was being extra clumsy that day. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. I kept telling myself it was just a party, but I knew it was definitely going to be so much more complicated than that especially if he showed up. Even if he didn't, the anxiety that was already building inside of me in anticipation was enough to make me question why I was doing this anyway.

Perhaps it was because I had made a commitment to my work and a promise to Emily which I wanted fulfill or maybe I was just testing myself like an idiot, either way I had agreed to attend Emily's party that she was throwing to 'cool off' before we left for Paris.

The party planning was all on her, she simply wanted me to be a guest. She had gone off about how the place where the party was being held was so amazing and fun that I would be begging her to join our company as an event planner. I was still deciding whether I liked her or not.

I didn't know who was coming and who wasn't, but I was hoping that Evan would be too busy to attend.

"You have to get used to this, Flora." I thought to myself. "You can't be on the edge 24/7. You have to learn to be in his presence without letting it bother you in any way. It's just a couple of weeks."

Taking another deep breath, I left my house with a newfound determination, hoping for it to last.

$~~~$

The cab dropped me off at the address Emily had messaged me. As I got out, I couldn't help but feel that the place seemed oddly familiar. I read the address again and realized that the party was at the basement of the building where the cab had dropped me.

It was only when I reached the basement did I realize that why it looked so familiar. The place had changed. The stairway to the basement was lit with fancy neon lights and some decorations, unlike before which gave it a completely different look and made it hard for me to register where I was before. Even the club had expanded and looked different even though I couldn't pinpoint what had changed.

It was a nightmare.

I was at the same jazz club that Evan brought me to last year when we came to Italy on a business trip.

I turned around to leave as fast as I could, but Emily's voice calling out my name had me closing my eyes in distraught, knowing that there was no getting out of this now.

I slowly turned around to face her.

"You made it." she grinned.

I nodded my head, offering her a small smile.

"I know you're all about work, but you can loosen up for one night!" she laughed. I shifted on my feet uncomfortably. "Get drunk, dance your ass off, have fun! I mean, that's what I'll be doing!"

She swayed on her feet and launched a deep kiss on her fiance before disappearing in the crowd with him, dancing. She was certainly drunk already, dancing and having fun. I sighed.