Chapter Twenty-Eight

(y/n)'s POV

It was going to be Halloween tomorrow, which I was stoked for. I seriously loved Halloween. Sure, people at my school weren't nearly as big on the creepy aesthetic as much as me, but that was a fun aspect. Plus, dressing up and getting candy was always a good time. And the atmosphere everywhere was just perfect.

I really loved fall, and I really, really loved Halloween. It was the best time of year, hands down.

Which was why I was outside decorating my house with everything possible. Pumpkins, fake spiders, plastic gravestones, a cauldron with a fake witch leaning over it, a bony and decaying hand sticking up out of the grass. Everything had to be just perfect.

"Woah, nice decorations," I heard a familiar voice behind me while I was putting fake cobwebs on the trees in my yard. I whipped my head around to see a grinning Veronica.

"Yeah, I'm super excited for Halloween. It's the best holiday to ever be invented," I gushed. My best friend's eyes twinkled, taking my hard work in.

"Yeah, I never knew you loved it too. I would have talked your ear off about it since October 4th if I'd known," she chuckled. I flashed her a grin before turning back to my hard work.

"What're you going as to the dance?" I asked. She pondered silently for a moment, lightly tapping her chin. She did that a lot when she was lost in thought.

"I wasn't planning on going so I didn't get a costume. I was just gonna stay in and watch bad 70's horror movies," she admitted. I gasped, almost tumbling down from my ladder.

"You have to go! We all were planning on going together, you must have been out sick when we planned it. Plus, Heather will be lonely since I know she's gonna try to get Heather and I alone. She always does," I urged.

"What even are you and Heather anyway? You both like each other and cuddle and use pet names, but you haven't told me anything," she inquired gently.

"I don't even know," I sighed, finishing my cobweb-hanging and stepping down from the ladder. "We haven't really discussed it since we kissed in early October and back then I wasn't ready for a relationship. Now, I think I am and I've been sending signals and all but I think I just need to be more clear. I... I really like her, Ronnie."

"And she really likes you. She's just oblivious to signals, apparently. But maybe you're oblivious too and she's sent out a signal? What if we call her over here to hang out alone, I'll hide in the closet so please don't lead her there to fuck, and you talk about your relationship?" She proposed. I shook my head.

"I can get her alone sometime tomorrow. Maybe at the dance. Oh my GOD the dance what if I look stupid in my costume and she thinks I'm ugly and hates me forever?" Panic crashed over me in a wave. She lightly grabbed my arm.

"I'm sure your costume looks great and she's not gonna think you're ugly. She once said that you were the most beautiful person in the world after you woke up in the morning. She and Mac were out and she got drunk and told her. Mac came straight me since obviously it was worth sharing," I felt a huge smile tug the corners of my lips. Heather was so sweet to think that. I knew I looked super gross in the mornings, so for her to even consider that was mind-blowing.

"...Have you and JD talked since that night?" I asked quietly. Her face fell and I already knew the answer and pulled her into a hug.

"No, he doesn't even look at me in the halls. To be fair, he always did only have eyes for you." I shuddered at the thought.

"I wish there was some kind of love potion or something that could just make him like you instead!" I groaned. Witches and potions were on my mind, because of course Halloween spawned those thoughts.

"What if it made him like both of us at the same time, though? Like if it didn't erase his love for you? That would be a teen drama I'd read," Ronnie joked.

"And then we'd be famous and could pay your tuition to Harvard without a scholarship, foolproof plan!" I added. We chuckled a little bit at our own dumb joke.

"To be fair, I seriously wish he didn't like me. It would make both our love lives easier, huh?"

"Team love potion?"

"Team getting into a relationship and hoping he realizes it's hopeless and moving on to you," I answered with a cheeky grin. She smiled.

"Yeah, I guess that's more realistic. I still bet I could get a spellbook though," Ronnie sighed.

"Where, at a creepy old library? C'mon, let's put this ladder away and go get you a costume. Maybe if you look hot enough you can be the apple of his eye. Or move on like the badass lady you are," I told her, moving to put the ladder back in the garage.

JD's POV

Tomorrow I was going to tell her. I could tell her at the dance that we could off Kurt and Ram. Or I could do it silently. Or tell her after. Seriously, why were girls and murder so impossible and confusing? It was ridiculous, really.

I'd been itching to get those boys dead since they first talked to me. And now it was finally going to happen. They'd be six feet under and everything would be right in the world. Those assholes were the key to my happiness, so I wasn't going to give it up for the world.

I wondered what (y/n) was wearing to the dance. I also wondered if she was even going, but the Bitch Brigade was probably going to drag her. Maybe I'd put a little more detail into my vampire costume tonight for her. Maybe she'd find me irresistible that way.

Since when had my life turned into endless wondering and maybe this, maybe that? I never used to be like this, but that girl changed me. I was unsure if it was for the better.

(1062 words)