Chapter Thirty-Three

(y/n)'s POV

My heart pounded along to the beat of the music, and I could feel it thrumming through my body. I felt a tap on my shoulder as I looked around. I turned to see JD in a vampire costume, face coated in white face paint with fake blood and teeth.

"Would you care for a dance?" He asked, imitating the famous vampire voice that people liked to use.

"I don't see why not," I shrugged, taking his outstretched hand and walking out to the dance floor.

"It's loud, huh?" He shouted above the music that made its way through my veins. I nodded, giving an apologetic smile.

"If I leave, it's not your fault. I get overwhelmed and spooked at loud noises and large groups of people," I apologized in advance for the inevitable. His eyes widened a bit and he nodded, sympathy spreading across his face as he towered over me to no fault of his own. He was just really tall. It was kinda intimidating.

"Noted. Are you okay right now? We can ditch for a minute," he offered, pointing to the exit of the gym. I looked around, shaking my head.

"I'm good for now. Now, let's dance!" I tried to sound happy. I really hoped I wasn't leading him on as I started bouncing around to the music. If Heather or Ronnie saw they'd feel betrayed, if I was unlucky. He tried to move closer but I backed up the same amount.

I glanced around, catching eyes with my three friends watching me. I shot an apologetic glance as he tried to move closer again. This time I took more direct action, gently pushing him back. A look of hurt flashed across his face as I looked back at my friends. Mac was rubbing a slightly angry Heather's arm and Veronica's face was blank. I felt relief wash over me as the song ended.

"Dance is up, see ya," I said rather bluntly, hurrying away and back to my group.

"What was that?" Heather demanded, eyes flaring with some fire as I got in hearing range.

"He asked to dance. I said yeah because I was alone and I had no excuse why not. He got close, I pushed him away. What's wrong?" I explained, trying not to be annoyed at their lack of trust in me.

"I just- I was here with you and I thought-"

"We haven't talked since we got here, Heather, you can't tell me THAT'S your excuse." I cut her off, making Mac wince.

"Can you guys please not fight? You just got together and your first fight shouldn't be in front of everyone," she whimpered softly. I nodded, softening.

"I'm sorry I just know he- it's not that I don't trust you, it's that I don't trust him," Heather conceded.

"I get it, and I can take care of myself. But if you don't feel comfortable with it, I'll avoid him." She smiled at my words and nodded.

"I don't trust he won't try anything that you won't notice. I mean this with all the love in the world, but you're pretty oblivious," she gave a teasing grin and I gently hit her arm.

"Now that that's settled, Mac and I have to go, see ya," Ronnie interjected, sounding casual but giving pointed looks to McNamara. She got the hint and grinned, leading her to get some punch.

"Ya know, if Ronnie wasn't so hung up on JD, her and Mac would kinda be cute together," I said, watching them. Heather glanced to me and then back at them, and I saw her nod in the corner of my eye.

"Yeah, they would. But this night isn't about them. You look absolutely stunning," she eyed me up and down, making me a bit nervous. Not that I particularly minded.

"As do you. Cast a spell on anyone tonight?" I asked back, sneaking a bit of flirtatiousness into my tone. She rolled her eyes, smiling.

"Only you," she whispered, leaning in so close to me that I wouldn't be surprised if she got her bright red lipstick smudged on my ear.

"Careful, we can't act as if you wanna bang me after this in public," I teased, whispering just as quietly as she did, and I saw her shudder again.

"Even if it's true?" She whispered back. Jesus, her voice was kinda sexy when she got all like this. I wouldn't have minded making out tonight if she kept this act up. I wasn't ready for anything more, but making out would be fine. Especially with this beautiful person right in front of me, looking at me like nothing else even existed.

"Indeed. I'm not ready to come out and I know you aren't either, so back up," I sassed, taking a step back. She made a pouty face at me, nearly following me. I could see the twitching in her fingers indicating she wanted to at least grab my hands or something.

But we were both in the closet and despite our minds' fogginess with love and desire to just get closer, we knew these people were cruel and would just bring us into danger we weren't ready for. No matter how in love we were, I wasn't Romeo and she wasn't Juliet. This wasn't a Shakespearean tragedy, if anything it was some bad fanfiction by a young author with nowhere near as much experience writing decent stories as that old guy.

"Earth to (y/n), you got that bored of me already?" Heather brought me out of my thoughts, and despite her playful demeanor, I saw a flash of hurt behind her eye.

"No, I just zone out a lot," I explained.

"I know, I just... I get insecure, ya know?" She answered, and my heart ached for her. I, against all rational thoughts, reached for her hand, holding it gently.

"I thought we were-"

"I know, but I don't like seeing you upset." I smiled apologetically. She nodded, face glowing.

"Yeah, you know you're really sweet, right?"

"I'm not sweet, just a-"

"Shhhh," she pressed a finger to my lips, gently rubbing off some of lipstick. "You're the sweetest, and you don't get to argue me on that but I know you will because if you didn't, you wouldn't be the girl I fell for,"

I glanced down at her finger, smiling a bit. A fire burned my lips where she touched me, but it was a good burn. It spread warmth throughout my body, from the tips of my toes to the top of my head.

(1101 words)