19) Diego x Klaus

Requested by @absolutetrash on wattpad. : )

The storyline for The Umbrella Academy series has been changed slightly for the benefit of this oneshot.

Hope you like it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Distasteful looks were shared across the dining table as the Hargreeves siblings (minus Ben :\) ate the disgusting dinner Luther and Allison had prepared. Sir Reginald Hargreeves had been dead for a few days, Five had returned after 16 years and now all the siblings were gathered in the Mansion eating dinner. It was strange for all the siblings to be under the same roof, in the same room after so many years, But the worst difference was the absence of their mother, Grace.

Last night, when Hazel and Cha-Cha had broke in and caused a scene looking for Five, the siblings believed they had killed their mother in the process, cutting a few of her wires leaving her lifeless. Diego however, knew otherwise. He had been the one to bring Grace's life to an end, in fear her programming had be damaged and could not stand the thought of his mother changing for the worst. She had to be put down.

Now, as heartless as Diego may seem, it had killed him to hurt his mother. The one person he could always count on. He was dripping with guilt and drowning in despair. And that leads us up to the present - Allison and Luther had decided it would be best to cook a dinner for the siblings, a sit down meal for the loss of their mother. The looks upon the siblings faces expressed how bad of an idea this was.

"Ughh Luther! I thought I told you to turn the temperature down, these potatoes are black!", Allison choked, gulping down her water not a second later.

"Well the gravy's not much better! You clearly didn't stir it enough.", he muttered back, glancing up to look at the other siblings. Vanya was almost emotionless, eating her food in silence but her full plate showing just how poor the quality really was. Five looked almost angry at having to eat this mess, slamming down his fork suddenly.

"Both of you clearly cant cook! I'd rather chew off my own foot then eat anymore of this." He spat, pushing his chair back before stalking off out the room. Luther sighed, looking to Allison and making small conversation to lighten the previous tense moments.

This left Klaus and Diego. Klaus sat opposite Diego a goofy expression on his face as he mashed his potato and veg together into a swamp of colours whilst Diego chewed on his food in silence, a dead expression on his face but his eyes holding pain and what appeared to be anger as he stared at his plate. He couldn't really blame Five for refusing to eat this mess but felt a twinge of anger for the lack of disrespect towards their mother.

Klaus looked up from his artwork to see Diego's down and damp appearance. Even in his high state, he could instantly tell Diego wasn't feeling his normal self.

"Yooo hooooo! Diegooooo?", he whispered waving an hand in front of his expressionless face.

"What's up buddy? Got a pit of pork stuck in your throat?", he giggled.

No answer...

"Its okay, j-just take a sip of this.", he reached forward towards Diego's glass of untouched water. His shaky uncontrollable hand moved too quickly, knocking the glass sideways. Before it could fall and spill every where, Diego's hand shot out grabbing the glass and tilting it upright.

"Klaus, keep your hands to yourself and eat your fucking food.", Diego spoke in monotone voice, glaring up at him before looking back down to his plate and continuing eating. Klaus pouted at his harsh words, grabbing his fork and shoving a forkful of mixed food into his mouth.

A minute of quiet passed, the only noises were the scraping of forks and the quiet conversation between Allison and Luther, Vanya joining in. Finally, Klaus looked up to Diego again, watching his grumpy face before looking down at his plate.

"Tut, tut tut."

"Diego, come on buddyyy! You've barely eaten any of your carrots!", Klaus exclaimed, faking a shocked parental look, trying to hide his smile as Diego looked up to meet his gaze, glaring dangerously before looking back down.

This only encouraged Klaus, he giggled quietly before picking up his fork.

"Now you know what Mother used to say, eating your veg is veryyy important." He paused, burping loudly.

"Oh! Looks like you're a bit low on your broccoli... Here, have some of mine.", Klaus giggled, picking up a piece of broccoli. Attempting to land it on Diego's plate, he failed as he flung it across the table slapping Diego in the face with a wet smack.

A loud shriek sounded through the room a moment later as Diego stood in a flash, pulling out a knife and flinging it towards Klaus, successfully pinning him to the wall behind by the thick material of his fluffy trench coat. Diego stalked towards his trapped trembling self, grabbing him by the collar of his coat and pushing his head further back, smacking it on the wall earning a yelp from Klaus.

"Don't. fuck. around. with. me. Klaus.", he spoke lowly, glaring Klaus dead in the eyes.

Klaus tilted his head to the side, analysing his face and stance before chuckling lightly upon realising.

"I-I get it nowwwww." he replied a small smile on his face, watching as Diego's face twisted into confusion.

"All day, you've been moping around, at first I'd just thought you'd had a rough night of no sleep. But no-no there's more to it than that. It-it's about mom isn't it?"

Diego didn't answer. Instead he let go of Klaus's collar, his face confronting into one of pain, no longer masking his despair.

"We all feel the pain, of losing someone, of losing mom. But with you? Y-you feel it twice as much. I can see it in your eyes. Mom was your rock, you know? That stable place you could come to whenever everything else in this world is fucked up."

He paused as Diego reached up to grab the knife, yanking it out the wall and slipping it back into his pocket. Glancing up at Klaus as he continued.

"I know I-It's really hard right now, but B-but its wont be like this always. It all get's better with time and I know, I know what you are thinking. 'Things never stay like that' and I know. There will b-be times where you come crashing down and that's okay. We might have these powers or whatever, but deep down? We're only human."

There was silence in the large dining room. Vanya, Allison and Luther sat in their seats, watching the scene with shocked expressions but remaining silent. Diego stared at Klaus with bewilderment at his wise words, his eyes filling with tears at the realisation that someone understood him, someone other than mom.

Klaus stepped forward, wrapping his arms around Diego's neck pulling him into his embrace. Diego froze for a moment, not sure what to do before he finally reacted, placing his arms around Klaus, his shaky hands resting on Klaus's back, closing his eyes in the comfort of the embrace.

"And when those times come. When you come crashing down after putting up that defensive wall for too long, I'm right here. I-I know I'm not always in the right frame of mind. Heck! I'm high right now! But I will always listen."

Diego pulled away from the hug, looking into his eyes for any sign of truth. Truth was all he found. He moved a hand to rest on Klaus's shoulder, giving it a hard squeeze as he offered a real smile. Klaus grinned back.

"Thanks Klaus, if you're even aware of what you're saying." Diego joked.

Klaus paused taking a moment to think, before shrugging, not really knowing. Diego chuckled, shaking his head slightly. He turned, beginning to walk back to his seat when Klaus's hand shot out grabbing his shoulder and pulling him back to face himself.

"Wait Diego!, he paused reaching towards his face, a loud giggled escaping his lips as he continued, "You've got a lil something rightttt there...", he pointed to the piece of broccoli on Diego's cheek.

"I thought I told you to eat the broccoli, not smear it around your face.", he giggled.

Luther jumped up, running out the room following the pair as Diego chased Klaus down the hall, threatening him with a knife and Klaus shrieked and snorted with laughter.