38. Skittles

I slid down the wall at the edge of the stairs.

Sleep weighed heavily on my eyelids, the pain in my shoulder jerking me awake every time my eyes shut. Marco was being taken to the cellar after he refused to answer Cane and Pietro's questions.

I adjusted myself quickly and peeked around the corner. Marco was being dragged by two guards.I grabbed my backpack, waited a few seconds, and followed them. They finally stopped at a rusted barred gate. A fowl scent filled my nostrils as they opened it. Marco coughed vigorously and struggled against their hold.

He managed to pull one of the guards down to his level and kicked his face into the gate. The other guard still holding him twisted Marcos hand. I winced as I saw Marcos face flush a deep red at the pain.

They pulled him further into the cell, away from my line of sight. My breathing quickened and sounded extremely loud to my ears. I held my breath when I thought I heard chains.

They rattled against the concrete floor and I could hear the guards— or Marco— grunt.

"Why the look of disgust? You're at home now. You're surrounded by your people, no," a guard asked. The two laughed and I watched as they locked the gate and walked up the stairs I'd just been hiding behind. I waited for what felt like forever to make sure no one came back down.

I heard Marco pull harshly at his chains.

"AGHHH," he yelled out. My heart skipped at his yell. I looked at the stairs frantically expecting someone to come down.

No one.

I ran out of my spot behind the wall and over to the gate. The odor I smelled earlier hit me hard, tears springing to my eyes. The floor beside Marco was littered with dead rats and feces. Bile rose into my throat and I pushed it down. I shuddered as my own vomit slid back down my throat.

Marco was too busy yelling in pain to notice me.
"Marco, Marco, shhh. Marco," I whispered harshly. He stopped, whimpered, and peered at me. I probably just looked like a shadow to him.

"It's me. Zhara." He let out another yell, his mouth pulled back, revealing his bloody teeth. I grabbed my pocket knife and tried the lock. I looked at the stairs every so often until there was a click of release. I slowly pulled open the gate and walked in trying to avoid the rats. I got close enough to Marco and nearly screamed.

His wrists were bleeding like rivers. The chains on his wrists had long, thick blades. They'd broken through his skin onto the other side and straight into the wall.

"Zhara," he let out. It was barely above a whisper. I dropped to my knees so we could be eye level. My hands flew to his cheeks and I cupped his face into my hands. His blue eyes were hooded as he tried to stay awake.

"Marco, please. Hey, hey. Open your eyes. I need you to stay awake." I looked at the chains trying to find a way to take them off. My knife was bent from earlier, but it was worth a try. I picked at the small hole on one chain and managed to only get the chain itself off.

They were smart enough to make sure that the contraption itself would stay on his wrist. I'm guessing it was to make sure that if he ever managed to break free, he'd eventually pass out from the blades in his wrist before making it out of the house. I did the same to the other side.

Marcos body went limp as soon as the second chain dropped. His wrist were still stuck to the wall behind him. His passed out state made the next task easier. I pulled his arm, ripping the blades out from the wall. More blood seeped out.

I cut the hem of my pants and wrapped them around his wounds. His head lolled against my shoulder as I struggled to pick him up. I tossed his arm around my neck and dragged him out, kicking the dead rats.