48. Family Trip (Part 2)

"God she's skinny as shit but weighs a ton," said Cane. I immediately opened my eyes and laid a protective arm over Jessica. "Let her go Zhara," he said. "Don't make me repeat myself."

"Where are you taking her," I yawned out. He threw my arm off and carried her bridal style.

"Get off the jet and you'll see." He walked to the door and disappeared down the stairs. I got up and stretched before rushing after him.

"Woah...." My mouth hung wide open at what lay before me.

The mountain skyline was outlined to perfection by the fluffy white and grey clouds. The low sun peeked through every so often when the clouds slid slowly across the peak of the mountain. Pine trees saturated the cavernous depths and up the steep backs of the hills, looking like an army inching its way to the wedding arch—which rested directly at the edge of the cliff.

Men and women were placing chairs and covering them in pink and white roses. I watched Cane hand off Jessica to three maids who then carried her and placed her in a nicely decorated chair, proceeding to tie her up.

"Come," he said. "We need to get you fitted."

"My body hurts.." I mumbled.

"Maybe you should've slept on the flight," he replied. I huffed.

"I can't sleep with one eye open so I figured I'd just leave both open." He laughed and kissed his teeth.

"Who's your best man," I asked out of curiosity. He chuckled.

"Pietro. My best man," he said with a mischievous grin. There were two massive, white tents pitched nearby. I ignored his reaction, noticing the large Humvee's passing by with men attached to the side railings and heading down a trail to the bottom of the mountain.

Cane held the tent open for me and I entered. Maids were stitching roses to the train of a long wedding dress and accessorizing the brides bouquet.

"You weren't joking," I said sarcastically.

"About," he asked.

"Getting married. Who the hell would want to marry you."

"That hurt," he said with an eye roll. "NARE. MARIAM. Come," he yelled. They seemed just as startled as me and ran over. Nare, a short and wide woman with frizzy, pitch black hair wiped the sweat off her glistening forehead. Her dark green eyes peered at me and I saw surprise run through before she looked at Cane.

"Sir," said Mariam. From the crows feet etched into the corners of her large, dark green eyes and the laugh lines blazing a path at the side of her plump lips, I concluded that she was Nares mother; her protective stance in front of Nare also made me jump to that conclusion.

"This is Zhara," he told her. Mariam quickly glanced at me, nodded and focused on Cane. "She will be the maid of honor. Make her something quick. The wedding starts in," he peered at his watch, "3 hours and 40 minutes?"

I rolled my eyes at his dumbfounded expression. "You're watch is in the wrong times zone. Armenia is 3 hours ahead." He did the math and nodded.

"40 minutes," he finally said.

"Pardon Sir. That's very small time to work," Mariam said. Cane squinted at her.