5 | Powerful Jaws

Eleanora sat across from Serena in the booth of a coffee shop her sister had taken her to, feeling rather skittish. Since their last phone call, in which Serena had told her to correct her pathway and Eleanora responded by saying, 'I already have', she really wasn't exactly sure where they stood. She didn't doubt that Serena had told their mother and father about the phone call, nor did she doubt that either of them were too happy with her. 

When she agreed to have coffee with Serena, she anticipated being scolded for the way she spoke to her and being told that she was being a disrespectful daughter, bla, bla bla - to which she would then get a few things off her chest in a not-so-calm manner. She was completely thrown off, however, when Serena teared up and pulled her into a hug upon her arrival. 

"I'm sorry for being so harsh, Ellie," Serena sniffled, "And I miss you, I miss you so much and I don't tell you enough that I love you." 

Eleanora had come into this ready to knock horns with her sister once again, but seeing Serena's miserable expression took the wind out of her, and she found herself instinctively reaching to comfort her. Serena was her sister, first and foremost, and in that moment, it didn't matter that their parents always told Eleanora that she should just be more like her. 

"I love you too, Siri," she replied, grabbing on of her hands. "And I miss you too... you and your nagging." 

"I don't mean to nag you," Serena giggled. "I just... I see so much potential in you, El, and I don't want you to waste it. I want the best for you - as do Mum and Dad." 

Eleanora's smile faded, the hope bubbling in her chest fizzing out and coming to a halt. 

"It's not too late to transfer into another course for August if you change your mind and want to do something else-" 

"Like political science? Or law? Or medicine?"

"Yeah-" 

"No, Siri, I'm not interested in that." 

"Okay, okay! Look, I get that you don't want to be a politician or a lawyer, but if you like chemistry and biology and all that, I don't see why you don't like the sound of medicine. You can major in biochemistry or biomedical ethics or cancer biology - neurobiology sounds interesting-" 

"Siri!" Eleanora cut her off pleadingly. "I don't want to be an MD. I don't know what I want to do! I like biology but that doesn't mean I want to dedicate my life to it. Besides, I prefer chemistry, which you'd know if you actually listened to me. I know they want the best for me, but they don't know what that is! How can you think that pursuing a career I don't want is the best for me?" 

"You might actually like it, though," Serena pushed. 

"I don't know why I bother," Eleanora groaned to herself, rubbing her face with her hands. 

"I'll drop it, okay?" the older sister resigned. "But only if you promise you'll come home for spring break. Mum and Dad really miss you and want to see you while you don't actually need to be at the uni." 

"Okay," she sighed heavily. "I promise." 

"Do you wanna demolish an excessive amount of food with me?" 

Eleanora laughed at the olive branch Serena was presenting, but bit her lip in hesitation. "Yeah, okay. For old time's sake." 

• • • 

"I swear, every time I see you, you're chewing gum," Tony pointed out when Eleanora slumped into the couch opposite him in one of the student lounge's that afternoon.