23 | Square One

When Eleanora was released from hospital, she had been referred to both a dietician and a psychologist, which her parents had offered to pay for because she "needed to be fixed". 

Tony, Rhodey and Katie all drove together to pick her up from the hospital, and the ride back to her and Katie's apartment was admittedly a little awkward. However, it did make Eleanora realise how many people actually cared for her and how far she had come socially in the last year. 

She had an appointment booked with a psychologist for the following day and one with a dietician on Wednesday, but for the rest of the day, she could just relax. Apparently Rhodey and Tony had convinced Katie to commit to watching the Star Wars trilogy, which seemed to be their plan for the afternoon/night. Eleanora hardly minded, however. In fact, you could even say she was a bit excited. 

It was clear that they didn't really know how to act around her when food came up, although that was a bit of an understatement. It didn't take long at all for her to get a bit fed up with the anxious glances they'd shoot her way, wondering whether to offer her food or not and whether to be concerned when she turned it down. 

"Stop being weird, guys," she finally sighed, near the end of Empire Strikes Back. "I really am okay, right now. Just treat me like you normally do, I'm not gonna have a breakdown at the mention of food." 

"Sorry," Tony scratched the back of his neck. "Just... you'll say something if we do anything to make you uncomfortable, right?" 

"Yeah," Eleanora nodded, smiling appreciatively. "I will." 

• • • 

"There's no need to be nervous. You can literally walk out whenever you want. I wouldn't advise it, but the point is that you can. You're not trapped. She's there to help you, she's not gonna judge you."

Eleanora bit her lip and nodded, looking between Tony and the building where Doctor Wren's office was situated. "Yeah... still don't like it." 

"You don't have to. You just have to try." 

"Thanks again for driving me, you didn't have to do that." 

"I know. I wanted to," he shrugged. "And I'll be here when you come out. You'll be fine." 

Eleanora nodded and sighed before shooting him a nervous smile and walking inside. After checking in, she was told to wait outside Doctor Wren's office, and although it wasn't long before she was called in, it was long enough for her to simmer in her anxiety for a bit. 

"Eleanora?" an older woman with dark hair smiled kindly. "I'm Doctor Wren, but feel free to just call me Nina. Come on in." 

She smiled tightly and followed the woman into her office, taking a seat at the armchair she had gestured to. 

Doctor Wren pushed her glasses up her nose and crossed her legs. "To start off with, why don't you tell me a bit about yourself, Eleanora?" 

For fuck's sake.

Eleanora had thought that the session would go by quickly, but it most certainly did not. It dragged on for what felt like much longer than an hour, and while she knew that she would get out what she put in, she couldn't help the urge to be stubborn and talk as little a she could. Doctor Wren was quick but smooth in her transition from small talk to deep, probing questions that made Eleanora's tongue swell. 

Why don't you tell me about your last out-of-control binge? Can you describe what was going on internally and what was going on around you before, during and after the binge?