21 | Eternal Game of Tug-of-War

Trigger warning: this chapter goes into pretty significant detail of eating disorders, specifically bulimia. Please don't read if this is likely to be triggering for you. Take care of yourselves x

"-ny... Tony." 

Tony jumped when Rhodey grabbed his shoulder and hauled him up, an anxious but determined expression on his face as he glanced to the corridor they had taken Eleanora down. "C'mon man, you gotta pull it together. What happened?" 

"I don't know! She acting a little weird and then suddenly she collapsed and then she started- started-" he shook his head.  

"She'll be okay," Rhodey assured him, squeezing his shoulder. "Nora's tough." 

Tony knew that, but he also hadn't seen anything as disturbing or terrifying as the sight of Eleanora convulsing on the floor like that. He felt sick. 

"Hey, at least we're in the ER. The best possible place for a medical emergency to occur." 

"I just don't get why it happened," Tony shook his head, slightly pissed off by his optimism. "What caused it?" 

"I don't think that's worth dwelling on that much right now," Rhodey said softly. "There's some seats over there, why don't you go sit down? I'm gonna grab some food from the vending machine." 

He nodded blankly and went and sat down where the other man had gestured, rubbing his hands over his face anxiously. 

To be honest, Tony had forgotten why they had been in the hospital in the first place until he saw a young man rush into the room, glancing around wildly until his eyes landed on Amanda and he hurried over to her. Tony watched as the man crouched in front of her and brushed some of her hair behind her ear as they conversed before raising himself up to place a kiss on her lips. He looked away. 

When Eleanora had left to go find Hannah to tell her the truth about Tucker, Tony had known that she wouldn't exactly be in great spirits when she returned. Which is why he had planned to take her out with Rhodey that afternoon before the man went to USAFA in a couple months, because he knew they got along well and wanted to make her feel better. 

Of course, everything had to turn to shit, as always. 

Tony gave a half-assed smile when Rhodey handed him a bag of chips and ordered him to eat it, grateful that he was letting them sit in silence rather than attempting to distract him. 

"Hey," a hesitant voice spoke up, making the two men look up at Amanda, who stood in front of them holding her arm. "I'm about to go in but, um, I wanted to say thanks for bringing me here. Would you be able to tell Nora I said thanks to her too? I hope- I hope she's okay." 

"It was no trouble," Rhodey assured her meanwhile Tony just nodded blankly and said, "Yeah, me too." 

Tony didn't know how long they had been waiting when the doctor, Dr Farrall, finally came out to tell them what had happened. 

"From what we can gather, Eleanora suffered a tonic-clonic seizure caused by severe hypoglycaemia," she told them. 

"Hypoglycaemia?" Tony repeated in confusion. 

"Low blood sugar." 

"No, I know that," he replied in annoyance. "I'm just confused about how. How was her blood sugar so low that it made her have a fucking seizure? That doesn't make any sense."