Chapter 22

________

R I V A L

(n.) one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess

________

Lauren Jauregui / Lara

° ° °

----------    FLASHBACK     ----------

"Why do you always have to leave her Lara? I mean there's one moment in each of your life where you're happy just being together right? Why didn't you just runaway with her?" Dinah asked.

We're still in the basement after all my revelations to her, she may have been too stunned to leave or run away, she just stared at me blankly.

"I was always too scared Dinah. It's never really easy to be a queer in the early years, they think of it as a disease, as the devil's curse and anyone who will be associated to one and would resist the 'cure' all of those righteous people forced on people like us would be considered as pests. They'd have us dead, than to have us 'spread' it. I was always scared of Camila's well being although she's always been the stronger one. The feisty and fierce one. But her family always have the stronger power... that's another reason..."

"Anything else?" She asked knowing I am still keeping something from her.

"I know this is gonna sound weird or pathetic if you may but, Camila always finds me at the wrong time. I was never a priority, I was a pass time. If she's not in a relationship or already engaged or worse already married, there's always a third party. Destined or forced. The only thing that's keeping me alive is our unfettered connection."

"I want to be honest with you and that's really pathetic." She said laughing.

"I know.." I joined her.

"But you know what, she's single now. And mind you for the longest time. So that's your difference, but if you're just gonna be so scared and avoiding her, then you may just have a problem with the third party in the near future. Camila's easy to love, anyone could fall for her you know that... and you hurting her like this will only make it easier for her to move on."

"I understand Dinah, I really do."

"Then stop this nonsense. If you love her, go get her. It's not you who needs saving now. It's Camila."

"You're not scared of me? I'm a weirdo, really I am. But then you're entrusting her to me so much."

"I see your sincerity Lara, and I wanted to believe everything you showed and told me just now. And if we take them into consideration, you deserve her and she deserves you. I can't even explain it with my own words for me to actually believe it but, I think you're a good person no matter how weird  you are."

"Thank you Dinah, this really means so much to me."

"You're welcome. I'll get going then. Stop torturing yourself."

She gave me one last pat on my shoulder and left.

----------   END OF FLASHBACK   ----------