Chapter 26

________

L I F E - A N D - D E A T H

(adj.) extremely important and serious especially because your survival or life may depend on success

________

Author's

° ° °

"You see... you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them too. Even when you're in the dark. Even when you're falling."

- Tuesdays with Morrie -

• • •

At times like this when everything seems lost and hopeless, someone's got to learn how to trust. Trust even without seeing. Trust even without a hundred percent certainty. Trust alone because you are banished with the right to choose.

It's a risk, and a hard one to take, but then if everything else doesn't make sense, how bad can trusting the unseen and not felt be. It would give the other person something to hold on to. It bestows them hope.

Camila knows pretty well that all she can do now is trust Lara. Trust that she would wake up any minute now. Trust that she will soon be fine. Trust that she would not lose the love of her life and that Lara won't let go for her.

But no matter how tightly Camila grasp that thread of trust, she's still doubting. She's still figuring out how she can fully accept the fact, if by any chance Lara let go.

They vigil, all the five of them. They stayed with each other even if they had to pull some strings just to be allowed to have five people to look after a patient.

No one wants to leave and no one wants anyone leaving too.

They take turns in going to the cafeteria for coffee or water, or anything to eat except Camila.

Camila never left Lara's bed side since the nurse told them that she's already been transferred to a private room.

Camila won't let her slip away from her again, like in the car. The only moment Camila left Lara was when she changed her clothes.

"Mila you want to sleep by the couch? She's stable, you can rest I'll look after her. You're tired." Dinah offered.

"It's okay Cheech, I'll just have a coffee later. I'm not sleepy." Camila softly said.

Dinah didn't argue anymore, she just put a reassuring pat on the brunettes shoulder and retreated back to the couch where she was seating with the rest of their friends.

A nurse checks on Lara every two hours making sure the wires are safely connected to Lara's body, checking her pulse and temperature, her heart monitor and IV bag.

Camila reached for Lara's cold hand and clutched to it as she prayed and eventually had fallen asleep slouching on the bed side.

________

Camila Cabello

° ° °

I woke up from my shallow nap when I felt Lara's hand twitched and slowly moved. I immediately rose from my seat and looked at her.