28~ Afraid

Imagine your most embarrassing moment.

For me it was when I once went to a fast food drive thru and began to place my order. Then the drive thru worker had asked, "Could you drive up to the speaker? You're talking to a trashcan."

Now imagine that awkward pause after the embarrassing moment as you register what just happened and it seems everyone and everything around you falls silent as they too realize your idiocy.

That's how it felt at the moment as Jimin and I hovered in the living room awkwardly by ourselves, silence filling the room.

Except this awkward pause wasn't a few second pause but rather seemed to drag out as neither of us seemed willing to break the silence first.

Call me petty, but I wasn't going to be the one who broke the silence. Instead, I silently began to head towards the stairs for the bathroom on the second floor.

I planned to shut myself in there and pretend to take a six -hour bath until the others came home.

"Where are you going?" Jimin called after me, wearily.

I paused at the foot of the stairs, debating whether I should answer or not.

"Ah, you're going to give me the silent treatment." Jimin scoffed softly. "Why am I not surprised?"

Anger was beginning to build in me faster than you could say 'Jiminie pebble' or whatever that word was.

"What is wrong with you?" I snapped, whipping around to face the blue-haired demon. "What purpose do you have insulting me?"

Jimin wrinkled his nose at me. "Oh dear, my deepest apologies princess. Is it 'off with my head' now for hurting your delicate feelings?"

I just managed to bite back a sharp retorted and went as far as to squeeze my eyes shut for a few moments, taking deep breaths.

"Jin's right," my voice sounded calmer now. It was also an octave lower than usual as I was clearly still struggling with my composure. "We should solve our differences."

Jimin pursed his lips.

Fine, I guess I was going to initiate this conversation now.

"You've never been kind to me, Jimin," I began, swallowing down the last bit of my pride. "Yes, you've protected me and at moments cared for me. But it was never really out of kindness so much as necessity. The only time you really were ever gentle and kind with me was probably during the demon battle."

I saw Jimin's eyes flicker up the briefest moments at the mention of the battle. Good, that meant he was at least listening to some degree.

"But then right after you opened up to me and went as far as everyone telling their backstories, you shut down to this cold machine up to even this very moment," I crossed my arms. "And I don't think it's a coincidence."

Jimin dragged his gaze reluctantly to meet mine. "Oh really?" his voice fell flat despite his obvious attempt to sneer at me.

Jimin 0 - Me 1. I was finally getting to him.

"As you've come to learn, I am a very outspoken person and often say things before I think," I took a deep breath. "So I won't hesitate now to tell you that Hoseok told me about Bangtan's little sister."

I half expected Jimin to tense up like he did whenever I brought up any mention of the war. But instead an eerie blankness fell over his face like a blanket.

I pushed on. "Something tells me that the way you 'care' for me is related to your past memories and experience with caring of your little sister."