32~ Will You Marry Me?

[Narrator's POV]

A man in a long, dark trench coat watched with mild amusement as the little girl fell off her bicycle for the tenth time. Her parents rushed over to her, comforting her and reassuring her she'd get it next time.

"Idiot," the man huffed under his breath with a little chuckle. "You need to actually pedal if you want to keep moving."

"Let me try again," the girl giggled, undeterred.

"Your arms though," the mother frowned. "They're bleeding."

"I'm okay!" The girl chirped determinedly. "I can get a band aid later. I almost have it!"

A smile pricked reluctantly at the man's mouth, a sense of pride as if he himself was the father, welled up in him. "That's a strong girl."

"One more time can't hurt," the real father tugged at the mother's shoulders.

"She might hurt herself again," the mother fretted as the husband pulled her away.

The man scoffed a little, recalling his first encounter with the little girl.

It had been up in a mountain campground during summer break. The man had been minding his own business setting up his tent. He'd been surprised when he first saw her wandering around the backwoods near his campsite. He'd gone to her and asked if she was lost.

The girl had merely shook her head, grinning without a care in the world. "I'm exploring!" she had chirped. "Would you like to explore with me mister?"

To say he was surprise was an understatement. The girl couldn't have been more than five years at the time.

"What's your name?" the man had asked gently.

"Y/N," the little girl had chirped.

"Y/N," the man had smiled as the girl, Y/N, offered her hand. He'd taken it gently in his and shook it briefly. "Where are your parents, sweetheart?"

"They're unloading the car," Y/N had begun to amble off, hopping from one foot to another. "Boring stuff. I want to explore. Wanna explore with me?"

Generally, the man would've said no. But considering the circumstances, if the girl went all by herself she'd probably could get attacked by a rabid raccoon or a tree branch could fall on her head, killing her.

"Sure," the man had replied back then, keeping a smooth, friendly face on. Deep down, he'd been wondering what kind of irresponsible parents would just let their young daughter wander off into the great unknown by herself.

He'd followed the little girl, Y/N, as she waddled through the trees with not a care in the world. His eyes had continuously darted here and there in hopes to find her parents or hear their calls.

"Mister!"

The little girl had held a smooth stone out towards him, a bright smile painted on her face as she looked up at him. "This is for you, mister."

"F-for me?" the man had stammered in slight surprise.

"What's your name?" the little girl tilted her head as she gently pushed the smooth rock into the man's hand.

"Gus," the man had replied as he gazed down at his little gift.

"You're very handsome Mister Gus," Y/N giggled.