five.

Foreign Essence
chapter five.

Foreign Essencechapter five

❨ 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐧𝐮𝐬 𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐞 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐔𝐒𝐈𝐂 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐋𝐎𝐔𝐃 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄. But the Downworlders were dancing to the music and weren't paying any mind to the Shadowhunters that had just joined the party.

"Blend in," Jace reminded them over the thumping techno music. "Keep your weapons ready."

Leon scanned the crowd and then chuckled when he saw Magnus. The High Warlock was sitting in the back of the room, admiring his reflection in a compact mirror.

"There he is," Leon stated to Jace and Clary. Isabelle, Alec, and Kai had broke off to secure the area and then Jace and Clary followed Leon to the back of the club.

"Magnus!" Leon called his name, a smile on his face.

Magnus turned his gaze from the mirror and then grinned at the sight of Leon. He stood up and walked around his chair to greet Leon. "Leon, my dear boy, what's it been? Five years?"

Leon laughed. "Give or take," he agreed.

"And where is that handsome parabatai of yours, Monkey?" Magnus asked, a sly smirk on his face. "Is he with you in the city?"

Leon chuckled and nodded his head, "Kai's around here somewhere. I'm sure you'll see him before the night is over." Leon twisted his body so that Magnus could see his friends. "Magnus, this is — "

"Clary Fairchild," Magnus mused as Clary walked around to stand in front of Magnus. "You've grown into a beautiful young woman."

"Magnus Bane," Clary stated, almost angrily. "So, you're the one who stole my memories."

"At your mother's request," Magnus informed her. "She knew the risk." Then, Magus held his hand to Jace. "Show me the jewelry, Shadowhunter."

Jace lifted his hand and opened his fingers, letting the necklace dangle in front of Magnus. But when Magnus reached for it, Jace pulled it away, "Ooh," he mused, making Magnus look at him with a hardened expression. "Give Clary back her memories, and you get the jewelry."

Magnus swayed a little — the way Magnus usually does — and he smiled at Jace. "I have to confirm it's authenticity." He held his hand out again and Leon looked at Jace, nodding his head once.

So, Jace reluctantly put the necklace in Magnus's hand. He held the pendent backwards in his palm and then he spoke in a foreign tongue, "Amor verus numquam moritur. 'True love cannot die.' Oh, how I've missed this jewel."