thirteen.

Foreign Essence
chapter thirteen.

❨ 𝐞𝐧𝐯𝐨𝐲 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐯𝐞 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐋𝐄𝐎𝐍 𝐂𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍, 𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐘. He vaguely remembered the Ravener demons and the venom that had coursed through his body. He groaned and sat up in the cot, rubbing his head as it pounded.

"Bloody hell, mate." Leon opened his eyes to see Kai sit down at his feet. "You scared the hell outta me. What happened?"

"Demons," Leon grumbled tiredly. "Um, one of them pinned me and I couldn't get my weapons. How, um...How'd I get back to the Institute?"

"Alec brought you back," Kai answered his parabatai. He huffed, frowning slightly. "When I saw you unconscious in his arms...I should've stayed behind, too."

Leon shook his head, ignoring the way his heart started to race when Kai told him that Alec carried him all the way back to the Institute. "No, Kai, it's not your fault. It's not anyone's fault."

Kai just sighed and so did Leon. "Can I go to my room now?"

The two London Shadowhunters leaned on each other so that Kai could bring Leon back to his room. The latter still felt weak, and even swayed slightly as they walked, but Kai kept him on his feet.

Leon had been in his room for over an hour, sitting at his desk, when his phone rang. He saw the name on the screen and sighed; hopefully she didn't know about his near-death experience.

"Hi, Mom."

It took a long time, but Leon started to call Cerys by that title more frequently after his rune ceremony. It was only right since the woman had raised him as her own, loved him, cared for him, and taught him like a mother should.

"Don't 'Mom' me, young man," she chastised. "You almost died?!"

He let out a huff and face palmed with his empty hand. "I'm fine, Mom. I promise I'm okay."

"It doesn't matter, Leon," she sighed. "You're supposed to be in New York to be a Clave representative with the Downworlders, to help the Shadowhunters with keeping the peace."

"Evelyn also said that Kai and I were to help on missions if we were needed," Leon reminded her. "And we were protecting Clary Fairchild."

Cerys let out a frustrated huff. "I'm gonna have a problem with that girl if my boy keeps getting hurt because of her."

Leon chuckled lightly and shook his head. "She's not doing it on purpose, Mom. Her mom is missing and I want to help her find her."

Cerys sighed again. "I know, honey," she said. "You have a big heart."