seven.

Foreign Essence
chapter seven.

❨ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐋𝐄𝐎𝐍 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐏𝐒 𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑. He saw Kai standing outside of the training center, but he was staring in it with his arms crossed. So, Leon made his way over to his parabatai.

"What are you doing?" he questioned the tall Brit.

Kai turned to look over at Kai and then looked back into the training center. "Maryse just got here," Kai explained. 

Leon's eyes widened and he looked into the training center, a low groan omitting from his mouth when he recognized the long ponytail. He liked Maryse Lightwood, and respected her, but he could only assume she was there to yell at them for the unsanctioned missions.

"Well, let's go find out what she's here about," Leon sighed, nudging his parabatai.

The two of them made their way into the training center just as Maryse and Jace hugged each other. 

"How's everyone in Idris? Where's, uh, where's Max?"

"No Max. Just Mom with her hair on fire," Isabelle answered Jace, crossing over to him. Kai, Leon, and Clary followed her.

"I love how Shadowhunters share," Clary mused, looking at Jace. "A hidden brother, and a secret country, and a private Portal."

"Leon, Kai," Maryse greeted them with a small smile — forced in Maryse's own way. "I hope my children are treating you both kindly."

Leon smiled in return and nodded his head, "Of course, Maryse."

"Mother." They looked over to see Alec join them next in a black t-shirt and sweats. "Welcome back. We didn't expect you."

"You should be prepared, whether you expect me or not," Maryse told her son as they kissed each other's cheeks. 

"I am," Alec stated. "We are."

"We'll talk about the Institute later," Maryse sighed. "Right now, we have a bigger problem." She started to walk around the group, which had formed a little line in front of the woman. "The Seelies have stopped communicating with the Clave and won't explain why. My guess is they're still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine, but no one in their realm will talk."

Kai shared a look with Leon. There could be a number of reasons why the Seelies stopped communicating with the Clave, but Leon had a sickening feeling that it was because the scouts were dead. There was just no way he could tell Maryse that without proof that it was true.