08

Jeno shuts the door of his study quietly. Only he and Jisung were home, but alerting the latter he was in this room would surely spark curiosity and much criticism. He wanted neither of those things.

"What're you doing in here?" a velvety voice speaks at a low volume.

"Fuck," Jeno utters under his breath as he turns around to see Jisung sitting with his legs crossed in a chair beside a lit, floating red candle.

"'Fuck' isn't an answer," Jisung points out.

Jeno exhales obnoxiously through his nose and purses his lips as he attempts to think of some type of excuse.

"I wanted to come in here to think," Jeno half-lies.

"About what?" Jisung questions.

"About what to do about Jaemin's aunt," Jeno lies smoothly, but that isn't enough for Jisung .

You're coming in here to look through your books. Why?

"Am not!" Jeno objects, earning a smug look in return from Jisung .

"Mind reading are we?" he says in a patronizing tone.

"Look, I didn't come here for you to judge me," Jeno hisses.

"That's right. Because you came here to look through your books filled with dark magic spells and what not," Jisung retorts.

"Could you stop being a dick for five seconds?" Jeno snaps, "You know, you're a hell of a lot bitchier since you came back, and it's pissing me off."

"Well I'm just saying, if you're supposed to be an angel now, then why don't you burn all the books your father gave you and leave this place?" Jisung fires back.

"I don't have to answer to you," Jeno spats venomously.

"It seems you don't answer to anyone, now," Jisung points out, "Do you even realize how dangerous it is to play both sides like this?"

"I'm not playing both sides!" Jeno exclaims wildly.

"Then what do you think it is you're doing?" Jisung asks, his voice raising louder than Jeno's. When Jeno skips a beat, Jisung pounces in on the lack of an answer to continue his attack on the man. "Does Jaemin even know about this?"

"Know about what?"

"Don't play dumb. Does he know about your continued use of dark magic?" Jisung interrogates him.

Jeno purses his lips and crosses his arms over his chest. He rolls his eyes, shaking his head in disbelief at Jisung's confrontation.

"Well? Does he?"

"I suggest you drop this. Now," Jeno grumbles through clenched teeth.

"Or what?" Jisung challenges him, "You'll do to me what you did to Xiao? You'll torture me? You'll turn me into a cat again? You'll send me to Hell?" Jeno remains silent yet again. "Angels don't threaten people. They don't use dark magic, either. And they sure as hell don't lie through their teeth to their soulmates about things like that. You can't play with fire and ice at the same time and expect everything to be fine."

"You think I don't know what I'm doing?" Jeno bellows as his eyes glow red.

"Clearly not! If Taeyong or any of the other angels find out you're using dark magic, you could get yourself into serious shit!" Jisung yells, "Then where does that leave Jaemin? You only get one soulmate, Jeno. If he loses you, that's it for him. Do you even realize how fucking selfish you're being right now?"

"Shut up!" Jeno screams, his voice distorting into an inhumanly low growl. He straightens out his arms in a swift motion, his clenched fists igniting into flames. Despite this, Jisung just shakes his head in disappointment. He doesn't show a single shred of fear.

"I hope you're happy with yourself, Jeno," Jisung spats one final response at him before walking towards him to leave the room.

Before he can pass, Jeno grabs ahold of his bicep and forcefully stops him.

"If you tell Jaemin about-"

"In case you forgot, I'm still a demon. I don't have to tell the truth if I don't feel like it," Jisung cuts him off, "But I suggest you get your priorities straight. And fast."

Jisung then yanks his arm away and proceeds out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him.