11

"Jeno, I don't know how I feel about you using your books for this," Jisung states with a hint of anxiousness in his voice.

"Why? I've been practicing this type of shit for like ten years. You should be more concerned about me trying to use light magic," Jeno retorts as he flicks through the pages of one of his large tomes.

"I mean, yeah, but I really meant it earlier when I said it's not safe to play both sides. Don't you think it's risky to be using your spells and incantations to do this?" Jisung asks.

"It's not illegal," Jeno responds as he obnoxiously flips yet another page.

"No, but it's a punishable offense. You could be sent to purgatory! And that's if Taeyong and your father are feeling particularly generous. If!" Jisung insists.

"It's not an offense if we don't get caught," Jeno remarks with a cheeky grin as he stops his searching and looks up at Jisung.

"That's incredibly stupid. This isn't some kinda game," Jisung lectures him.

"Funny how you're concerned about my well-being only after I warn you about Chenle's situation and offer to help you," Jeno points out, "Besides, these are practically the same points you made earlier but in a less aggressive and patronizing way."

"That doesn't mean they're any less true," Jisung hisses, "And I hope you realize I'm still incredibly pissed at you for keeping this from me...but you are the only other person in this world who knows how Xiao works and how to deal with him. We can get Chenle back...right?"

Jeno's smirk slowly fades and his eyes suddenly drop back down to the yellowing pages of his book.

"Yeah," he responds.

"That doesn't sound very reassuring," Jisung states.

"No, we will. I know we will. Just...we have to be careful," Jeno murmurs, "That's why we need this." Jeno rushes over to Jisung-whom sits on the edge of the chair in the far corner of the room-as a red candle floats alongside him. He shows Jisung a page transcribed in Latin.

"The possession curse?" Jisung inquires.

"It's the only way I can be there with you without alerting Xiao," Jeno explains.

"But maybe I don't wanna be possessed! I heard it's claustrophobic as hell!" Jisung whines.

"Well, you're gonna have to get used to it because..."

Jeno snaps his fingers and his wavy, sacrificial blade appears in his hand. He quickly releases the book, allowing it to float in mid air. In one swift motion, he slices into the palm of his hand.

"Wait!" Jisung cries out, but Jeno starts reading from the book and chanting in Latin, "Don't you fucking dare!"

Jeno swipes his bloodied hand across Jisung's forehead, and the latter lets out a shriek of disgust. Jeno then grabs his face in his hands and begins chanting louder.

Upon reaching the last line, Jeno's eyes roll to the back of his head. The whites of his eyes are all that can be seen as thick, black smoke pours from his open mouth. The smoke trails from Jeno into Jisung's mouth. Jisung's eyes slowly cloud as well until they turn completely black. Once the smoke ceases and Jisung inhales the last of it, Jeno's body drops to the ground with a loud thump. His knife clatters to the ground along with the book and the candle. Thankfully, the candle lands without tipping over and starting a fire.

The darkness in Jisung's eyes slowly fades until they are normal once more, though now, they glow a ruby red instead of their usual feline green.

He inhales sharply and falls to his knees beside Jeno's body, breathing in gasps. He slowly glances over and squeaks at the sight. He cautiously pokes the body, but it doesn't move. Jisung leans over him and checks his pulse.

He's still alive.

But his heartbeat is already weak.

"I'm just in a coma. I'm just in a coma. I'm just in a coma," he mumbles to himself repeatedly. He maneuvers himself so that he can carry Jeno's body out of the room and into his bedroom, but he's stopped before he can do so.

The door to the study flies open and a figure stands in the doorway.

"Jeno? Oh my god, Jeno!"