42

The flames dispel, and Jeno finds himself standing in the middle of a very large room filled with flashing, colorful lights, bustling people, and indistinct chattering while a sort of jazz music softly plays in the background. Machines are laid out in rows from wall to wall in the far back corner, but several round tables are placed on Jeno's side of the place. Some play various games of cards while a few play some sort of roulette. Left and right there is joyful cheering and excitement as individuals celebrate their winnings.

These were not typical demons...

They were very much human-looking. They even had fancy clothes from sequined gold dresses to tuxes with satin ascots that could have been designed by Louis Vuitton. They were all practically dripping with luxury as they drink and smoke to their success.

Jeno looks down at his wrists and finds that they are still wounded from the vines which had been previously binding him. A man stumbles by him, and Jeno snatches his neatly folded handkerchief from his pocket. He tears it in two and wraps the cloth around his wrists before proceeding through the room.

He is uncertain where the door to the next level of Hell will be, but he knows he will most definitely have to squeeze and stumble through the area before even managing to get around the place. For a large room, there were far too many people for his liking.

Jeno begins striding past the first few tables of patrons before the wandering crowds get in his way. A few of them are drinking, some are smoking cigarettes, others are inhaling something red and glowing from small viles. Jeno stops dead in his tracks at the sight. He is uncertain of what it is, but he presumes it can't be good for him to inhale; especially with how giggly the users become instantly after taking it.

Jeno lowers his head and continues on his way, forcing himself through small gaps provided by others, and growing intensely annoyed by the lack of space. He eventually reaches the other side of the room, but there is no indication of a door anywhere.

"Need help?" a woman asks, tapping his shoulder slowly and in a sort of jabbing manner.

Jeno turns and furrows his brow to find a girl in a sequined rainbow dress that fits snug around her body. She flips her long dark hair over her shoulder and blinks slowly.

"You look like you're tryna find somethin," she points out as a small, innocent smile forms on her cherry coloured lips.

"I'm looking for the exit," Jeno remarks, "You haven't seen it, have you?"

The girl giggles and shakes her head.

"Nahhh. Why would you wanna leave this place?" she laughs cutely, "It's so much fun here."

"I have somewhere to be," Jeno replies in a very disgruntled manner.

"Where?" she gasps as if astounded by the idea of there being elsewhere that a person would want to be.

"The seventh level of Hell," Jeno retorts.

"Ohhhh, I see," she giggles even harder, seemingly knowing what the next floor holds, "I've been there once or twice. This one is much nicer though."

Jeno grimaces at the woman, feeling irritated by her slow, unhelpful responses.

"You're clearly not going to help me. I'll figure it out on my own," Jeno snaps as he goes to shove past her.

"Wait wait wait!" she exclaims in a sort of panic, causing Jeno to pause and allow her one more chance, "The door is just behind the roulette table. Be careful, though, the only way down is by a very steep slope."

Jeno nods and exhales deeply.

"Thank you," he acknowledges her help, then turns to go on his way.

"Wait! Before you go..." she speaks yet again.

Jeno grunts in frustration but turns around, anyhow to hear her out. Unfortunately for Jeno, she blows the glowing red substance out of the palm of her hand, into his face. He cries out as he tries to shield himself, but it was too late. He had already inhaled whatever substance she and the others were on. The woman giggles yet again.

"Enjoy the trip," she says as she suddenly vanishes from Jeno's view.

Jeno instantly feels his head get lighter as if air was filling it. His frustrations and anger fade away as if they never mattered at all. Jeno then smiles slightly. He felt happy. It was like nothing could do him harm emotionally nor physically. He felt invincible.

Jeno begins truly stumbling through the crowd, slowly realizing he may not be seeing things quite as clearly as he was before. Things would go in and out of focus, but he still manages to navigate the room despite running into things repeatedly.

Hidden away in a corner behind a small wall that separates it and the bathrooms, Jeno spots a door with a bright red glowing knob. He approaches it hesitantly and places his hand on the doorknob, shocked to find that it does not burn him like he presumed it would for a split second. It's then that it dawns on Jeno that he doesn't quite remember how he got from the roulette table to the door, nor does he currently feel as if he's properly in control of his own body. His brain is hazy with very shortened trains of thought, and his body seems to be in autopilot.

This trip was bound to be a disaster.

Jeno opens the door and walks through, instantly slipping and falling down the very, very steep slope he had been warned about.