39

Jeno passes through the door, shutting it behind him. Just as he does, lights above flicker on, revealing a narrow space with concrete walls and stairs which lead down towards yet another red door. He casually strolls down the steps, savoring the placidity of the place before entering into whatever shit story was awaiting him on the other side of the door. Jeno places his hand on the warm, brass doorknob and inhales deeply before opening the door.

Jeno's brow furrows deeply at the sight of a room the same size as the last, but instead of tables of food, there various pieces of furniture crowding the place. Beds in every size, couches of two and four seats, and recliners make make a sea of furniture from wall to wall. In nearly every single one of them is some type of humanoid demon with translucent skin and hardly any meat to their bones. Jeno spots one which is smoking something in a rolled up piece of paper; another is simply just sleeping in a chair.

Jeno wonders if perhaps being quiet and not disturbing them would allow for him to sneak past without being disturbed, himself. Jeno begins to skirt around the outer edge of the gathering of furniture, sliding his back against the wall.

Jeno passes by a smoking demon. The thing blows a large puff of smoke in his face, causing Jeno to cough loudly.

"Fucking asshole," he wheezes, struggling to breathe for a moment before moving on.

Jeno nears what appears to be a doorway with a dark red frame but no door. He grins with excitement as his heart does a flip in his chest. Just a little bit further...

A boney hand grips onto Jeno's wrist and forces him to turn around. He faces another one of the demons, but this one holds a bright, shiny red apple in its free hand. It raises the apple up to his mouth, just barely not touching his lips.

"Try thisss," it hisses like a snake, "It will...calm youu."

Jeno grimaces at the demon. He yanks the apple out of the demon's hand and examines the perfect-looking piece of fruit a moment.

"Yet another stereotype my father feeds into?" Jeno scoffs, "Pathetic."

He chucks the apple far across the room, temporarily distracting the demon long enough for Jeno to break free from it's grip and quickly make a break for the dark doorway. He races through without so much as a slight pause or hesitation, proving to be a bad decision. The moment Jeno steps past the threshold, Jeno feels the floor vanish.

Jeno lets out a shrill, elongated scream as he falls.

And falls.

And falls.