47

The man shoves Jeno harshly into the holding cell, slamming it shut with a loud clash. Still, he stands there watching Jeno collect himself and face him.

"I can't wait to see the look on your face when the whole town comes to your trial, begging for your head on the chopping block," the man says in a low voice before spitting at him, "Fucking demon child."

Jeno narrows his eyes at him, giving the man a piercing glare.

"For a man who knows my reputation, you sure are a brave motherfucker for thinking it's okay to treat me like this. What if I...snapped your neck through this cell?" Jeno remarks coldly.

"Unlike the other people of this town, I know demons don't exist. I don't fear a puny little bitch like you," he retorts in a sort of smug manner.

Jeno shuts his eyes, breathing deeply to control himself so that he doesn't do as he threatened to. The man chuckles triumphantly and begins striding off down the hall.

"Enjoy your cell," he practically cackles.

As soon as the man leaves, Jeno opens his eyes and lets out a deep sigh.

"Mark. Donghyuck," he calls out quietly.

A flash of light causes Jeno to have to shield his eyes with his hand.

"Why are you-holy fuck what did you do?" Donghyuck speaks as he looks around at the cell.

"I got arrested for kidnapping and attempted murder," Jeno says flatly.

"Of who?" Mark asks.

"Jaemin," Jeno grunts.

"But you didn't-"

"I know, but Xiao fucked him up so bad that he looks...he looked close to death when I saw him. Chenle and I tried getting him to his aunt since we ended up there. Then her fucking cop boyfriend arrested me for it," Jeno cuts Mark off.

"Why didn't you take him to a hospital?" Donghyuck exclaims wildly with wide eyes.

"I don't know. We were just sent there so we tried dropping him off there. It was a bad idea, I know," Jeno sighs in exasperation, "Listen, I need out of here."

"Why?" Donghyuck asks, causing Mark to jab his elbow into his side at the implications of his comment. Donghyuck yelps slightly, shooting Mark an irritated glance.

"I need to talk to Taeyong," he explains, "My father said some things...things I need to discuss with Taeyong."

"Like what?" Mark questions earnestly.

Jeno takes his bottom lip in between his teeth and furrows his brow as he hesitates.

"My father mentioned to ask him what happened to Nakamoto Yuta," Jeno finally speaks, "Do you know who that is?"

Donghyuck and Mark look to one another: Mark with deep concern, and Donghyuck with confusion. Jeno slowly catches on the the odd vibe they give off at the mention of the name.

"Do you...really not know who Nakamoto Yuta is?" Mark inquires in a small voice.

"No," Jeno answers, "What's going on?"

Both boys hesitate once more before Donghyuck finally takes it upon himself to speak.

"Jeno...he's your father," he tells him.

"Did your father never tell you his name?" Mark chimes in.

"Or his story?" Donghyuck adds.

Jeno stares blankly at the both of them. He shakes his head, feeling confused as to what the significance of his father's name was and what happened between him and Taeyong.

"Um...well...long ago, before your father became Satan...he was known as Nakamoto Yuta. He and Taeyong were...they were soul mates," Mark explains, "Your father became an evil, despicable man, and Taeyong gave him the choice to either change or be banished for eternity...Obviously he chose the latter and shattered everything they had."

"So what does this have to do with soul mates?" Jeno demands to know, and he watches Mark's face drain of all colour. He drops his gaze and shakes his head.

"Taeyong...well he...he changed some things after he left," Donghyuck utters.

"Hyuck, please, don't tell him," Mark begs in a weak whisper, clearly realizing something was wrong.

"No! Tell me now!" Jeno commands.

Mark shakes his head feverishly for Donghyuck to remain silent, but his pleas fall on deaf ears.

"Taeyong removed Yuta's name to allow Jaehyun to be his soul mate," Donghyuck sighs, "He wanted to start again with love after your father left him to create Hell. Unfortunately, it left your father unloved and unable to love. It rid him of the last bit of good he had left in him."

Jeno drops to his knees, needing to sit down after being told such devastating news.

If soul mates could be changed and rearranged so easily, what did that mean for him and Jaemin? Did their love truly mean anything at all? Surely it did, right? But what about the fear in Jaemin's eyes when he saw him? What about the indifference to his rescue? What if the bond between soul mates was just as fragile as a normal one with any other human being? Did having a soul mate even mean anything? Was changing your soul mate commonplace between demons and angels that ever down their separate paths?

Jeno's mind is now plagued with questions he could not answer, certainly none of them could be properly answered by the two angels standing before him, watching him lose all sense of purpose.

"I...I need to talk to Jaemin," Jeno requests quietly.

"Jeno, I don't-"

"Take me to him. Now."

The two angels lock eyes yet again before Mark extends his hand out for Jeno to take.

"Come on," he murmurs, "I'll take you."