24

"Put Jaemin under a sleeping spell, redo the barrier, start looking for the demon. Put Jaemin under a sleeping spell, redo the barrier, start looking for the demon. Put Jaemin under a sleeping spell, redo the barri-"

"What are you mumbling on about in here?" Jisung inquires irritably as he stands in the doorway of Jeno's study.

Hadn't he closed the door? Or was he that oblivious that he didn't notice Jisung open it?

"Uh...nothing," Jeno murmurs as he continues frantically flipping through page after page of his book to find the specific incantation that he used previously to shield Jaemin's house from demons.

"It would help if you didn't accidentally project your thoughts to me," Jisung states flatly.

"What?" Jeno's head flies up to look at Jisung with wide eyes.

"You're looking for the incantation you used for Jaemin before. Why?" Jisung asks as he crosses his arms and slowly approaches Jeno.

"The damned thing got destroyed when Jaemin died...I set it to exist so long as Jaemin lives, but...I didn't expect him to die because of me," he sighs in vexation.

"Why is it so important that he needs one now?" Jisung raises an eyebrow, "Doesn't he have angel powers to protect himself?"

"Do you honestly think he knows how to use the fucking shit?" Jeno snaps harshly, "He's a human, he's always been a human, and his guardian angels are off trying to capture demons, so they can't help him! Jisung, he may have powers but he's so goddamn clumsy and aimless that it's not even funny! And do you really think he's able to just know when there's a demon in his presence? No! Because he hardly knows shit about what we deal with on a daily basis! He could be preyed on at any given moment and if I'm not there to help him-"

"Jeno!" Jisung interrupts him, causing Jeno to cease his ranting, "I get it. Okay? Do you remember which book it was in?"

"This one. I can't seem to find it, though," Jeno returns to flipping through the pages.

"Then keep looking, and let me see it if you still can't find it," Jisung responds, "Do you know if the ring you gave him still works?"

"I didn't put any limitations on the rings. They could only ever stop working if they're destroyed by me," Jeno confirms.

"Okay, then keep a close eye on your ring, and Chenle and I can keep watch over Jaemin's house until you manage to find the barrier incantation. Okay?" Jisung offers.

Although a deep pit forms in Jeno's stomach at the thought of Chenle helping guard Jaemin's house, he really wasn't certain there was much he could do without sounding suspicious of him. Perhaps Jisung being there would prevent anything bad from happening. He would surely put a stop to it.

"Okay," Jeno agrees.

Jisung shoots him a small smile before spinning around and pacing towards the door.

"Good, now I'll go get Chen-"

Before Jisung can finish his statement, he suddenly collapses to the wooden floorboards.

"Jisung!" Jeno cries out as he leaps over and kneels at his side, "Are you okay? What just happened?"

"I...I don't know," Jisung answers confusedly, "My...my body just got weak all of a sudden. I must be hungry or something. I'll make sure to get something to eat before I go."

Jeno extends his hand out to the boy, but he simply shakes his head.

"No thanks, I can do it," he insists.

Not wanting to fight with him, Jeno keeps an eye on Jisung and watches as he slowly gets onto his feet. He begins walking at a much more sluggish pace than before.

"Let me know what you find," Jisung says before disappearing into the hall, leaving Jeno confused and concerned about what just happened.

He needed to find that incantation and fast.