Chapter 4

Chapter 4 *November 29, 2010*

-Arabella-

"The finishing touch," I murmur, dabbing a coat of shimmery red lipstick over my mouth. I spin around, beaming. "How do I look?"

Hallie, who's clearly bored, lifts her head so her brown curls tumble down her back. I'm struck, for a moment, by how pretty she is. Not at my level, but still, it's almost shocking. "Amazing," she replies dryly, returning to her nail-painting. She's been in a pissy mood all night, refusing to gossip or even encourage me, and it's honestly starting to put a damper on my spirit.

"Obviously." I roll my eyes, gazing into my vanity mirror. I have to admit, I look even more spectacular than usual. The red halter top is silky and tight, hugging my curves and contrasting perfectly with my lustrous blonde hair. A simple leather jacket adds a bit of flare and is just heavy enough to keep me shielded from the blood-chilling weather. My eyes are shimmering and large, a brilliant blue, and despite my foundation, blush, mascara, eyeshadow, eyeliner, bronzer, and lipstick, I look naturally beautiful. "But on a scale of one to ten." My eyes bore into her back, daring her to say something other than ten.

"Ten." She continues obliviously inspecting her nails, not even pausing to check my reaction. I purse my lips. So she wants to play the act-bored-so-Arabella-will-get-furious game. Well I don't lose at games.

"I literally can't wait," I ramble, watching every word dig into her skin like a needle. She doesn't flinch, though, and I push on. "I mean, Harry's incredible. Apparently he's quite the flirt these days." I smile instinctively, even though she's still deliberately focused on her fingers. "But around me, he's weak-kneed."

That gets her attention. Hallie jerks her head up, her grey eyes blazing. "Ara, you don't know he's going to love you yet. Not every guy has to." Touchy, touchy. She's always resented me for being so bold around boys, but, I mean, it isn't something I'm able to control.

"Really?" I blink, chewing on my lip with a wounded expression. "I just... I'm nervous. I don't know what he'll think of me and I really want him to fancy me. What if he doesn't? It's not like we got off to the best start." Act innocent and hurt, and they apologize. It works every time.

Hallie falters, suddenly regretful. She's unbelievably predictable, another thing that makes us the perfect set of best friends. "I'm sorry, Ar," she says sincerely. "He will, no doubt."

"You mean that?" I plop down on the floor beside her, throwing my arms around her shoulders. She offers me a watery smile, blinking rapidly.

"Of course," Hal answers earnestly. I pinch her cheek appreciatively.

The doorbell chimes abruptly and I scoot away from her, freshly anticipating my date. "Go get that," I order as I stride towards the mirror to catch one last glance. She shoots me a questioning look and I roll my eyes. "I don't want to seem needy. Now go."

Without argument, Hal trudges out of my room, reverting back to her gloomy mood. Honestly, that girl changes attitudes quicker than I change outfits. Sometimes I begin to regret ever choosing her as my lifelong best friend. But it'll work out, I'm sure. I don't make mistakes.

My gorgeous reflection puckers her lips at me as one thought runs through my head. Harry Styles is about to meet his match.

-Hallie-

Harry Styles is about to meet his match. Yes, I'm aware that he fancies Arabella and he just arrived to take her on a date. But, if the fairy tale stories are true, and love knows no boundaries, he'll take one look at me and fall head over heels.

I dart down the stairs, slipping on the rug as I apply a coat of shimmery lipgloss. Praying, praying, praying.

Dear Lord, please let Harry prefer me to Ara. Just this once, dear God. She doesn't deserve him, not a bit, no matter how pretty she is. She asked me to remind her of the boys's NAMES. Oh, right, Lord, forgive me for lying and telling her you pronounce them Lewis and Zaynee. I was caught in the moment. Okay, Amen.

I fling open the door and almost gasp.

Harry is... breathtaking. His luminescent green eyes gleam in the orangey light from the chandelier and his floppy curls are wind-tossed. I grin helplessly at his rosy cheeks and clean-cut brown jacket with a scarf matching his eyes draped around his neck. Oh, I wish he was bringing me on a romantic date. Or I wish to be his scarf. Yes, I think I could handle being his scarf, hanging around his neck all day.

"Hallie? Is that you?" he exclaims, his face lighting up.

My heart flutters. Wait. He just said my name. Okay, Hal, you need to answer. Not something stupid. No. Stop. Wait, don't-- "Yep, I'm Hallie!" Oh. Shoot.

He chuckles, rocking back and forth on his heels. After a second, just as I open my mouth to invite him in, he speaks up. "Erm, Arabella is here, right?" Okay, so maybe this isn't another Cinderella story.

I desperately try to keep my cheery smile from fading. "Oh, of course, she's right upstairs getting ready. Why don't you come in?"

"Thanks," he replies, beaming. "It's been a while, Hallie. How are you?"

A tinkle of laughter floats down from the top of the staircase. We both peer up as Arabella gracefully steps down the stairway, easily avoiding the rug that always gives me so much trouble. "Oh, Hal's the same as always. She doesn't change much," Ara comments, shrugging. "Hi, Harry," she adds with a charming smile.

"You look wonderful," Harry compliments quickly, still gawking at her. He's too absorbed to notice me seething. She already has the boy -- did she have to call me predictable, boring, in front of him?

"Why, thank you," she replies sheepishly. Now we know she's trying to impress him. If I said that, she'd snap 'on a scale of one to ten?'. On a scale of one to ten how much do I hate Ar right now? El-freaking-leven. I wince, the thought leaving me with a sense of aching guilt. We are best friends, after all.

Flashing his signature smile, he whips out a fresh red rose from behind his back and presents it to her. Ar squeals in delight.

"It's beautiful!" Thrusting it into my surprised hand, she loops her arm through Harry's and tugs him down the front steps. Shell-shocked, I stare after the pair, who are already giggling happily.

Reliving Harry's heart melting smile, I suck in a breath. In that instant, an old song pops into my head, transporting me back to when I was twelve and awkwardly twirling around my room with an mp3 player in hand.

'Drew looks at me. I fake a smile so he won't see. That I want and I need him. Everything that we should be. I'll bet she's beautiful, that girl he talks about. And she's got everything that I have to live without.'

Uh oh. Once a heartbreaking Taylor Swift song perfectly describes your life, you know everything's going downhill.

---------------

Hey there lovlies! don't forget to vote, comment, fan, SPREAD THE WORD.

I really do appreciate it, everyone. I'm going to start doing dedications soon, just to thank you all. :)

Anyways, stay tuned for the next chapter. <3

Love as always,

Roooosemary