Chapter 28

Hey my lovelies. So, this chapter isn't QUITE as long as some have been, but don't worry, I packed in Harabella drama AND Harlie moments. I know it took forever, but keep in mind, as much as I'd like it to my life can't revolve around writing. All my teacher's are loading us with work before the holidays. BUT WHEN THE HOLIDAYS COME, MWAHAHHA. I shall probably be updating much more often. YAYAY.

Dedication... @DarkRosexx because she puts so much time and meaning into her comments. I can honestly tell that she loves this story, and there's no better feeling in the world than that <3

----------------

Chapter 28 *4m 31d*

-Hallie-

Friendship doesn't occur with the snap of a finger, as though it's some sort of destiny that hangs within the stars. It's a slow, subtle mingling; tinkling laughter at one another's jokes, lighthearted teasing, whispering gossipy secrets in one another's ears, a connection that eventually becomes unbreakable.

Initially, as the foundation of my friendship with Arabella gradually solidified, I felt a twinge of doubt. Possibly from the rumors that circled around the group of friends I had taken to sitting with, possibly because she simply seemed the slightest bit insincere.

Still, I gobbled up her compliments, insincere or not, as though they were red velvet 'cakelets' and within time, we had developed a remarkably deep bond. I was her best friend and she was mine and that was all there was to it.

Funny, then, how love can so abruptly disrupt everything. Love, that helpless, roiling desire in the pit of your stomach. Love, the tingling of your nerves, the pounding of your heart, the exhilaration of your senses. Love, the spark that gleams within you at the mere hint of smile or eyes cast in your direction. Love, which makes everything that once seemed oh-so incredibly important, like friendship... pointless.

Love. It's the magical sensation, the knotting of my stomach, the flushing of my skin, the racing of my pulse. Suddenly, a hardened ball of icy slush ruptures across my face, instantly causing flares of numbness and prickling in my cheeks. Rivulets of snow cascade over me, trickling past my shoulder blades as goosebumps erupt across my flesh. My chilled, soggy shirt clings to my body and I gape accusingly at the startlingly handsome boy rocking on the balls of his feet.

"Why... why would you... do that?" I question, my teeth chattering uncontrollably and my silvery eyes narrowing reproachfully.

An irresistibly attractive, crooked grin illuminates Harry's face and his eyes sparkle with an undeserved innocence. "Why wouldn't I do that?" he retorts.

"Because you know I'll get back at you," I declare unblinkingly, planting my hands firmly on my hips and throwing a daring half-smile towards him.

He arches his eyebrow confidently, his enchanting smile curling into a smug smirk. "I don't think so." In an unconcerned manner, his shimmering eyes sweep over my furry slippers, satiny pajama pants, and oversized white shirt. "You're hardly dressed for a snowball war."

"Is that so?" I blink, unimpressed by his bluster.

"It's very so."

-Arabella-

A stunning, poised girl hovers serenely in front of me, her distinct blue eyes glimmering strikingly from the frosty grey shadow dusted heavily over them. I purse my glossy lips at the reflection, satisfied as I admire my cream-colored cashmere sweater, complete with the intricate cut-outs of tiny snowflakes. It's remarkable, actually, that I've managed to pull myself together so well after last evening.