Chapter 14

Dedication goes to @fairy_reader ! Her comments were amazing and she's been a huge supporter. <3

Chapter 14 *Wedding in: 10m 15d*

-Hallie-

It's been three hours and I'm still shaking from my encounter with Ar. I came thisclose to the picture being discovered, thisclose to getting caught, thisclose to destroying everything.

Ara staggered into my room this morning, a complete mess (by her standards). Her hair, instead of being sleek and straight, was tangled with a hint of frizz, her face was pale and makeup-free, her eyes were squeezed into slits. Clearly, the four beers she practically inhaled after scurrying away from Niall had slammed her with a massive hangover. As frustrating as it was to admit, though, she still looked pretty, but definitely not like her usual flaw-free self.

So, as her loyal best friend, I grabbed my phone and snapped a shot right as she yawned blearily. Just for those times when I need a little reminder that she really is human.

As her typical, vain self, Arabella has this deathly fear of looking imperfect on camera. Somehow, she's convinced herself that the slightest mistake could be the downfall of her total image, so she has to be perfect. Always. Darting away from my camera's aim, she shrieked and lunged at me, scrambling to snatch my phone.

At the time, I'd all but forgotten about The Picture. Yes, it was the last thing on my camera roll and yes, I half-regretted it, and yes, I was thrilled and terrified to tweet it, but after the first full night of sleep in days, I had other things on my mind.

Naturally, she managed to extract the phone from my hand, her eyes wide with triumph. That was when the realization socked me, knocking the air from my lungs in a horrified gasp. If she deleted that picture, the next picture would pop up. The picture of her and Niall, clearly flirting. The picture that, if she saw it, would ruin everything: the sabotage, our friendship, and any hope of Harry falling in love with me.

Mustering all my strength, I leapt off my bed and slammed into her arm, sending my iPhone clattering to the floor. All I can say is, thank the Lord for the Otter Box.

"Hallie! What the hell? Delete it!" she wailed, absolutely enraged.

"I will!"

"Show me then," she snarled, pinching the bridge of her nose in an effort to ward off her migraine. Her blue eyes were livid, her pink lips curved into a furious scowl, her arms crossed stiffly. You'd have thought I murdered her puppy (although she really dislikes puppies...) rather than taken a simple picture of her. Of course, she's always been overdramatic.

Having been her friend for more than five years, I knew she wasn't going to relent. So, it was time for the last resort. I escaped to the bathroom, crawling a few feet and throwing myself into the tiny crack, skidding on the tile floor. The door slammed behind me and I clicked the lock, sighing with relief. Close call.

"What is WRONG with you?" Ar bellowed from outside. "You're so irritating! God!"

"It's such a lovely picture, though," I argued stupidly, too frantic to invent a good excuse. I fumbled with my phone, desperately trying to think of a solution. My thumb grazed the screen and the words 'Email Photo' popped up.

Holding my breath, I typed To: halliecarter@oxfordstudent.net

Two minutes later, I stumbled out of the bathroom, waving the phone as proof and revealing that the last picture in my album was of Niall, puffing his cheeks and lowering his brows, beside a cross-eyed Liam. I swear, they take the strangest pictures of themselves. "See? I deleted it." For an on-the-spot decision, I was rather proud of myself.